Florida River Hunting Feb 2018

Calvin Jenkins

Had a good bit of success visiting a river I've been to in the past.  I had "cleaned" this area out last year but I tried an experiment & piled all the rock/limestone that I worked through last year up in the center of the river expecting that it would trap sediment & moving fossils upstream of the rocks during the rainy season.  Like most of my plans it didn't work as I expected, it seems that the sediment didn't deposit behind the rocks but the flow tumbled the rocks and sediment deposited downstream of the rocks.  I spent about 4 hours digging out about 120 square feet of deposits 6-10" deep and screening.  Pretty much about the easiest hunting scenario you could hope for in a river.  I picked up everything that I recognized as a shark tooth (one bison tooth 2 bits of stingray & about 2 back packs worth of dugong bone bits).  I wanted to point out a few things, 1) almost all teeth are river black, there are less than 5 teeth that had other coloration (bone valley like), 2) a high percentage are broken but not necessarily "river worn".

So that evening I went to a social party & took the nice Meg to show some friends, of course one of the guest is totally enamored and tells me I've got to take them along next time so they can get some like that too!  If only it was that easy....everyone would be doing it!

River Finds 2018Feb.jpg

Awesome haul and I see some megs that are to die for in there! Can you get some close ups of the better teeth for our viewing pleasure? :meg:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Some nice spoils! Wish I could find a meg one tenth the quality of one of those up here! Well, really I wish I could find one of any quality.  

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

That is a very nice haul for the day.  A few of those megs are awesome.

A lot of the other teeth are spectacular too. Would like to see some close ups.

So I'm curious about the "Tiger Shark Teeth" and if this is the extinct variety or why the points are so upright, versus the normal hook that I see in FL.

Thanks,

Chipped Mako.jpg

Extinct TIger Back.jpg

Hemi.jpg

Small Post Meg.jpg

Nice Meg.jpg

Aged Meg2.jpg

extinct Tiger.jpg

Hemi back side.jpg

Mako Heavy Base.jpg

Nice haul! I'll definitely give river hunting a shot some time when I'm in either Florida or New Jersey. I love the jet black Makos and nice Tigers with defined serrations. What time period is this location? 

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

Archived