Attention Maryland Residents!

HoppeHunting

Any members of the forum who live near or in Calvert County in Maryland, I have a question. Is there currently snow on the ground in your area? I'm considering going hunting at Brownie's tomorrow, but a bunch of snow on the beaches would be a pain. According to the weather channel, it definitely snowed there (and it did quite a bit where I am), but what I'm wondering is if you think it would still be there tomorrow. I think it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow, and maybe the tides will clear the beach of some snow, but I'd really love to know the current conditions if anyone could tell me. Thanks in advance!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

5 minutes ago, HoppeFossilHunting said:

Any members of the forum who live near or in Calvert County in Maryland, I have a question. Is there currently snow on the ground in your area? I'm considering going hunting at Brownie's tomorrow, but a bunch of snow on the beaches would be a pain. According to the weather channel, it definitely snowed there (and it did quite a bit where I am), but what I'm wondering is if you think it would still be there tomorrow. I think it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow, and maybe the tides will clear the beach of some snow, but I'd really love to know the current conditions if anyone could tell me. Thanks in advance!

Don't go. There are drifts everywhere! At least 14 inches of snow, maybe 17 in some areas. Cars spun out every which way. It's horrible. I don't know how we'll survive. Temps already plunging well below zero, wind chill's probably negative 11. 

:hearty-laugh:

I'm kidding. There's maybe half an inch being generous, and tomorrow's supposed to be upper forties or lower fifties, something like that. I'd say you'd be fine if you got there later in the morning to let things thaw out a little. 

Should be good hunting if you get there first. Be careful, cliffs will be very unstable with all this freeze and thaw and drip. Good Luck!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

30 minutes ago, EMP said:

Don't go.

Okay, I’ll admit it. You got me haha! Thank you so much for the info

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Should be good hunting if you get there first. Be careful, cliffs will be very unstable with all this freeze and thaw and drip. Good Luck!

You don't have to be first at the beach to have a good hunt. I have come in behind other hunters and ended up finding better stuff then they did.And I have been there first on many occasions and found nothing laying on the beach waiting for me but sand. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

4 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

You don't have to be first at the beach to have a good hunt. I have come in behind other hunters and ended up finding better stuff then they did.And I have been there first on many occasions and found nothing laying on the beach waiting for me but sand. 

You are right in that fossil hunting is the art of not missing what others have, all I know is people with pictures of things they find on private beach are on average much better than my typical haul, and I don’t reckon it’s because those places are anymore productive. You can still find some nice things, but being there before others is an advantage. You are also right if there is nothing there, than being there first doesn’t matter but one always hopes that the sharks are out. Just my opinion from what I have observed.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@WhodamanHD the reason I made this comment is that I seems that when it comes to sharkteeth hunting anywhere, everyone is hung up on being first on the beach. Yes there is some merit to it. But I feel that to many people resign themselves to failure we they go to Brownies and see other cars in the parking lot. I have been to Brownies many times and have met a lot of people. Locals and out-of-towners and some literally get mad if they are not "first", or at the very least disappointed. I used to be that way, until I witnessed a father just leave his young son scrambling over the debris piles once he looked back and saw me coming up behind. He had to be first so bad that he ignored the safety of his child, in hopes to find that meg! That gave me I different outlook on things. Because its a 6 hour drive for me I have my own set of tactics I use to make my visits as productive as possible regardless of how many people are out there. Part of being successful is simply experience.  The more you go the more your eyes get trained to pick up the various shapes and colors. At first most people only see the obvious, you know things sitting out in plain sight on the sand. After a while they are able to spot half buried objects or objects being tossed by the waves. Some people only focuse onthe waters egde. That can be a big mistake as well as not looking at those debris chunks. My best mako was found in a chunk that I only saw because I got down on my hands and knees and stuck my head in a crevice and saw it sticking out. Many people passed this. That was my tripmaker tooth on my very first hunt! And we had been out there for hours and walked by this back and forth a few times. The point I am trying to make is that your success is what you make of the situation. :)

1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

The point I am trying to make is that your success is what you make of the situation. :)

This is all true. I’m just saying if there is an advantage to be had, no matter how small, I think it’s something you want to have. I’m normally there later and I still find things, but I’m always hoping less people have been there, not that I’m completely hopeless when others have been there. I’d be this way with any type of fossil site. But I see your point, and it is not incorrect:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree with @Darktooth. That's part of the reason I never go to the Cliffs, just because there's so many people there and there's this serious competitive air about it all. That's not what fossil collecting should be like to me. I shouldn't have to be pressured to wake up at 5:00 am to get to some beach at the crack of dawn and have the extra 5% chance of finding some shark tooth. I much rather prefer the quiet serenity of Appalachia. 

And I've had my fair share of stories about the cliffs. One time I went several years ago, there was a dad who had his two daughters (who were no more than seven or so, mind you) scrambling on the cliff face, digging into it with butter knives and tossing chunks of sediment down to the dad so he could sift through it. Then there were the people who'd camp out by the water's edge and prevent you from getting anywhere near the surf so you wouldn't hamper their chances of finding that super incredible find! 

3 minutes ago, EMP said:

I much rather prefer the quiet serenity of Appalachia

Shhh! That’s our secret!:P

Cliffs are competitive, I’ll get around to finding more sites out here soon (when it’s warmer). 

Happy hunting,

Mason

6 hours ago, Darktooth said:

@WhodamanHD the reason I made this comment is that I seems that when it comes to sharkteeth hunting anywhere, everyone is hung up on being first on the beach. Yes there is some merit to it. But I feel that to many people resign themselves to failure we they go to Brownies and see other cars in the parking lot. I have been to Brownies many times and have met a lot of people. Locals and out-of-towners and some literally get mad if they are not "first", or at the very least disappointed. I used to be that way, until I witnessed a father just leave his young son scrambling over the debris piles once he looked back and saw me coming up behind. He had to be first so bad that he ignored the safety of his child, in hopes to find that meg! That gave me I different outlook on things. Because its a 6 hour drive for me I have my own set of tactics I use to make my visits as productive as possible regardless of how many people are out there. Part of being successful is simply experience.  The more you go the more your eyes get trained to pick up the various shapes and colors. At first most people only see the obvious, you know things sitting out in plain sight on the sand. After a while they are able to spot half buried objects or objects being tossed by the waves. Some people only focuse onthe waters egde. That can be a big mistake as well as not looking at those debris chunks. My best mako was found in a chunk that I only saw because I got down on my hands and knees and stuck my head in a crevice and saw it sticking out. Many people passed this. That was my tripmaker tooth on my very first hunt! And we had been out there for hours and walked by this back and forth a few times. The point I am trying to make is that your success is what you make of the situation. :)

@Darktooth, so you mean to tell me that the beach doesn't fill up with 6" meg's and 3" makos every night, and if you're not the first one there you can still find some great finds after everyone else that got there before you runs past them?! :P:rofl:

@Ropterus Actually Scott , the teeth get sprinkled on the beach by the Sharktooth fairy. How many teeth are there each day, depends on the fairy's mood!;)

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

@Ropterus Actually Scott , the teeth get sprinkled on the beach by the Sharktooth fairy. How many teeth are there each day, depends on the fairy's mood!;)

:hearty-laugh:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 2/18/2018 at 5:42 PM, Darktooth said:

:hearty-laugh::rofl::fistbump:

Archived