Chippewa

Okay, any help with this is much appreciated.  I'm inclined to write this one off as something insignificant or perhaps even a rock.  However, the symmetry makes me think it is something more than that and drives me to consult the enthusiasts and experts here.  If it weren't for a small broken section (most noticeable on the "front view" picture) and an area of attached matrix (most noticeable on the lower left of the "bottom view" picture), this item would be almost perfectly symmetrical.  There are even two small depressions evenly spaced, one on each side, facing the viewer on the "front view" picture.

The dimensions are just under 3.5 inches wide (would be just under 4 inches if complete), 1 3/4 inches deep, and 1 inch tall

Please let me know if you need more info or pictures or anything else.  Thank you.  

top view.jpeg

front view.jpeg

bottom view.jpeg

back view.jpeg

I agree, not a fossil but always good to be sure!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Although I want it to resemble a crab, I'm not finding the right evidence for it. :)

_5a88e1a9375ea_bottomview.jpeg.d9abfae65277666c8af6cba6cae487c7.thumb.jpg.893c26b229a6b6b27a93dea48787577d.jpg9882081_1.thumb.jpg.b25d32130830d735eaea748abd744558.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hmm, thats got an interesting shape. I can see why the others have proposed other possibilities. Was thinking badly worn bulla but it seems to have some folding and I've seen too many things lately that I formerly thought were just rocks and am now finding out that they were actually coprolites..so..... put me down for a maybe coprolite... I wonder what it looks like on a microscopic scale..

Take a look at the variety of shapes and forms here...

http://www.poozeum.com/coprolites.html

Regards, Chris

My first thought was a coprolite. Second pic made me think crab.

I still lean to a coprolite but it could be what the others suggested too.

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

@abyssunder are they really crabs in the two lower images?!

I don't know.  Looks real. I picked up the image from an internet sale site. It was listed as petrified ghost crab fossil, from Florida. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks much everyone for your ideas/inputs.  Those ghost crab fossils are cool!  And thanks for the poozeum site!

I'm content with coprolite - my first...

I found several similar looking objects recently in a spillway in central texas and wondered about the weight of what you found? Did it seem unusually light for its size? All the things I found I expected to be tar by first glance but they were rock solid various different shapes some more turd shaped and some more pile like but with a lighter more pumice weight to it.  I'll try to get pictures of themv later. 

1 minute ago, Txfossilmom said:

I found several similar looking objects recently in a spillway in central texas and wondered about the weight of what you found? Did it seem unusually light for its size? All the things I found I expected to be tar by first glance but they were rock solid various different shapes some more turd shaped and some more pile like but with a lighter more pumice weight to it.  I'll try to get pictures of themv later. 

Coprolites are not usually light weight, but they can be somewhat porous in that you might see tiny air bubbles escape if you place them in water.

Here's a thought.  I have seen phosphate nodules that have nucleated around organic material from the Ripley formation, Alabama.  For some reason, crabs are frequently the core.  The nodules themselves have no detailed structure but often superficially resemble the encrusted core.   

On 2/17/2018 at 9:27 PM, Chippewa said:

Okay, any help with this is much appreciated.  I'm inclined to write this one off as something insignificant or perhaps even a rock.  However, the symmetry makes me think it is something more than that and drives me to consult the enthusiasts and experts here.  If it weren't for a small broken section (most noticeable on the "front view" picture) and an area of attached matrix (most noticeable on the lower left of the "bottom view" picture), this item would be almost perfectly symmetrical.  There are even two small depressions evenly spaced, one on each side, facing the viewer on the "front view" picture.

The dimensions are just under 3.5 inches wide (would be just under 4 inches if complete), 1 3/4 inches deep, and 1 inch tall

Please let me know if you need more info or pictures or anything else.  Thank you.  

top view.jpeg

front view.jpeg

bottom view.jpeg

back view.jpeg

Geological to me. 

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Archived