Schreger lines

Cthulhu2

Hey guys, silly question here. I was talking throughout the forum and wanted to know are Schreger lines only found in proboscidea? :) 

Speaking from little to no experience but I would assume other animals may have similar structures but they wouldn’t be called Schreger lines? 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

45 minutes ago, Cthulhu2 said:

are Schreger lines only found in proboscidea? :) 

Yes, only elephants and their relatives.

33 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

t I would assume other animals may have similar structures but they wouldn’t be called Schreger lines? 

I know of no other ivory toothed animal that has schreger lines, or any similar features by other names.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 minute ago, ynot said:

Yes, only elephants and their relatives.

I know of no other ivory toothed animal that has schreger lines, or any similar features by other names.

Don’t narwhals tusks have rings? Not really tusks or ivory I know, but superficially speaking.

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

Don’t narwhals tusks have rings? Not really tusks or ivory I know, but superficially speaking.

Schreger lines are not "rings", they are very different features of ivory teeth.

Schreger lines are visual artifacts that are evident in the cross-sections of ivory. They are commonly referred to as cross-hatchings, engine turnings, or stacked chevrons. Schreger lines can be divided into two categories. The easily seen lines which are closest to the cementum are the outer Schreger lines.

• I found this Informative 4

Thanks for that @ynot, looked it up and I can see the huge difference. Another day, another ignorant assumption dispelled:D

Happy hunting,

Mason

Schreger lines only occur in the Proboscidea, but Hunter-Schreger bands of a similar type of enamel prisms can be found in many placental mammals living and extinct.  

• I found this Informative 6

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Indeed the Schreger lines can only be found in the Proboscidea order of placental mammals, which today contains only one living family, ie the Elephantidae family. But the ivory of the present elephants do not have the Schreger lines, only the Hunter-Schreger, as for example, in the Indian elephant. As an example, I show here my fragment of mammoth ivory, which is deposited in my private collection, where the Schreger lines are quite visible:

image.png.9c930f963bb736ee309bc75cc53f3d13.png

image.png.6567efca1abec1317e629f538345138f.png

• I found this Informative 3

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

13 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Indeed the Schreger lines can only be found in the Proboscidea order of placental mammals, which today contains only one living family, ie the Elephantidae family. But the ivory of the present elephants do not have the Schreger lines, only the Hunter-Schreger, as for example, in the Indian elephant. As an example, I show here my fragment of mammoth ivory, which is deposited in my private collection, where the Schreger lines are quite visible:

image.png.9c930f963bb736ee309bc75cc53f3d13.png

image.png.6567efca1abec1317e629f538345138f.png

What a gorgeous piece! I appreciate the response. :)

• I found this Informative 2

5 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Violet has wondered about unicorns :P 

Here are some unicorn horns found in Utrecht and now on display in the Rijksmuseum. 

800px-Unicorn_horns.jpg

Looks possible they do, but we'd have to ask the museum for a cross section. ;)

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Just now, Tidgy's Dad said:

Here are some unicorn horns found in Utrecht and now on display in the Rijksmuseum. 

800px-Unicorn_horns.jpg

Looks possible they do, but we'd have to ask the museum for a cross section. ;)

I’ll show her the picture in the morning Adam! 

I had no clue about this stuff. Thank you guys for the learnin. :D I grabbed my portion of tusk from Leisey shell pit, but they are not visible on my piece.

20180218_215006.jpg

20180218_215018.jpg

20180218_215031.jpg

50 minutes ago, smokeriderdon said:

I grabbed my portion of tusk from Leisey shell pit,

Where is this?

51 minutes ago, smokeriderdon said:

they are not visible on my piece.

May be something other than Proboscidea, or it may need a clean polished cut.

ynot, it is in central Florida. Not active anymore I believe. Early Pleistocene stuff. Relatively sure it is mammoth. I think if I did polish it at all, they would likely show up. Just not wanting to do to this piece.

1 hour ago, smokeriderdon said:

ynot, it is in central Florida. Not active anymore I believe. Early Pleistocene stuff. Relatively sure it is mammoth. I think if I did polish it at all, they would likely show up. Just not wanting to do to this piece.

You may be able to see them with some magnification.