Malone

Undoubtedly the Pangolin is a beautiful animal, which for some mysterious reason (perhaps for its strong armor) reminds us of prehistoric animals.

In 1997, Shoshani et al. proposed that Eurotamandua joresi (Middle Eocene fossil from Messel, Germany):

image.png.aef5b2e31ae35f6de2737543c6231cd3.png

Might not be a xenarthran at all, but that it was instead a close relative of pangolins:

image.png.02ddf1f36614f5389ae15aa90a1ad27d.png

But if Eurotamandua joresi is or is not related on the evolutionary scale with the current pangolins, it is still a subject of much heated debate, and apparently it is far from complete! :(

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

By a bizarre coincidence yesterday was World Pangolin Day. :D

And a friend of mine has a wooden one in her garden. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

By a bizarre coincidence yesterday was World Pangolin Day. 

Dang I missed it! Meant to change my icon to a pangolin for a day...

very strong creatures, case in point:

F042990F-BB35-4190-9B0B-65C4CBC108EA.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

57 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Dang I missed it! Meant to change my icon to a pangolin for a day...

very strong creatures, case in point:

F042990F-BB35-4190-9B0B-65C4CBC108EA.jpeg

I was thinking about that when they showed a Chinese pangolin, I thought the samurai looked like they tried to mimic the pangolin . That's great!

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

By a bizarre coincidence yesterday was World Pangolin Day. :D

And a friend of mine has a wooden one in her garden. 

Probably why I saw the article. I never heard of one before yesterday. Really cool! The article was called the most hunted mammal you have never heard of. What gets me is how they walk.

6 minutes ago, Malone said:

I was thinking about that when they showed a Chinese pangolin, I thought the samurai looked like they tried to mimic the pangolin . That's great!

It was actually made in India for a English king (forget which one). 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The giant pangolin reach 4.5 feet and 75 pounds. There like a double excavator. They dig huge amounts in seconds. Amazing creatures!

16 minutes ago, Malone said:

It got me researching ethnopalentology. I guess people use their scales as medicine.

Sadly so. A lot of cultures have a misplaced belief that somehow keratinous structures from animals (tusks, horns, scales) have some sort of medicinal purpose when really they’d be in the same boat eating their fingernails. The animals suffer.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, WhodamanHD said:

Sadly so. A lot of cultures have a misplaced belief that somehow keratinous structures from animals (tusks, horns, scales) have some sort of medicinal purpose when really they’d be in the same boat eating their fingernails. The animals suffer.

They even use fossils as medicine which destroys a bunch of good fossils. 

8 minutes ago, Malone said:

They even use fossils as medicine which destroys a bunch of good fossils. 

Ever heard of zhoukoudian? The site that yeilded (and still yields) Homo erectus fossils, apothecaries took the bones and sold them to be ground up as Medicine before it was known that they were not dragon bones. Helped in a way, a Anatomist happened to notice them in the medicinal shops (van keonigsvald was it? Probably spelled that wrong)

Happy hunting,

Mason

43 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Ever heard of zhoukoudian? The site that yeilded (and still yields) Homo erectus fossils, apothecaries took the bones and sold them to be ground up as Medicine before it was known that they were not dragon bones. Helped in a way, a Anatomist happened to notice them in the medicinal shops (van keonigsvald was it? Probably spelled that wrong)

No I hadn't. Crazy stuff happens! I read that turtle fossils from a place in Brazil were used and still being used for medicine. I tried to research what chemical materials were in them, but there's not a lot of studies that have been done so far. Ethnopalentology sp? In in its infancy.

They used bone spurs in my spinal fusion surgery. I didn't find out till after the operation. It kinda grosses me out, but not much I can do about it.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Yes, cool and sad at the same time.

RB

I agree it makes you wonder if there really are curative powers chemical or other wise.

• 4 months later...

Archived