Cliche classic is it real keich

Haravex

Would like some input it looks good to me however don't feel I know enough about this type of fossil to be 100 percent confident it does have the calcium cracks, bones are not in a typical easy to fake position however there is always the chance of paint so I do appreciate the views of others that have seen with the naked eye and know what unwritten red flags to look for.

Screenshot_20180218-141659.png

Screenshot_20180218-141707.png

Screenshot_20180218-141731.png

I would say its real simply cause of where the head is.  and its hard to tell from the pictures, but its looks like a 'sand prep'?

RB

Looks like a composite. Feels like ribs and verts are painted, at least partially.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I think it's real although would prefer higher definition pictures and a picture of the entire skeleton.  A few ribs might be paint but hard to tell with the low definition pictures

I cannot download pictures from the app on my phone only screen shot, when you say composite Andy I think of morocco where two pieces have been stuck together this does not look like that so is this a different type of composite?

Screenshot_20180218-141630.png

Screenshot_20180218-152915.png

Screenshot_20180218-152900.png

Is it just me, or does the leg bones look a bit fishy?

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

17 minutes ago, Haravex said:

I cannot download pictures from the app on my phone only screen shot, when you say composite Andy I think of morocco where two pieces have been stuck together this does not look like that so is this a different type of composite?

Maybe. By "composite", I am referring to a paint job on the ribs and verts.

There are Keich plates made in which two pieces were stuck together. I do not think it's the case here.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The disarticulated pieces and unusual position would suggest real and I can't see any obvious painting. 

Not sure with these pictures though. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Thanks for the input I do appreciate it think I will ask for better quality photos but if the price stays a nice reaonable level I will pull the pub on this one and finally obtain one.

The neck vertebrae does not look right too me but I can only go by looking at my own keichousaurus.

Ok just to confirm this formation they are found from are composed of limestone correct? And acetone will not affect any of the natural elements of this fossil?

They are composed of shale.

This is what happened to my composite Keichousaurus after a water bath + acetone scrub

post-4888-0-11432600-1402242500.thumb.jpg.33add43979450c6d27690e1743875189.jpg

2 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

They are composed of shale.

This is what happened to my composite Keichousaurus after a water bath + acetone scrub

post-4888-0-11432600-1402242500.thumb.jpg.33add43979450c6d27690e1743875189.jpg

Did you only put the fluid on the center body area? 

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Did you only put the fluid on the center body area? 

No. I washed and scrubbed the entire piece. Only the center is real.

15 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

No. I washed and scrubbed the entire piece. Only the center is real.

So did they carve the head and tail onto the rock then paint over it.

Yorkshire Coast Fossil Hunter

I'm a bit wary of this based on the photos - some of it looks a bit painted - but it's very hard to tell without high quality close-up images. 

Something weird about this one. It’s dorsal prep with a ventral skull. Also, is it me, or does the spine look un-naturally elongated around the pelvis? I’d stay away from this one. You could get a much nicer one on our favorite auction site for not much money. 

This specimen looks suspicious to me. While it looks like an acid prepped one with dislocated skull and bones and thus appears unlikely to be faked, the ribs, vertebrae and neck all look painted to me.  Look at the attached photos for genuine acid prepped ones for comparison.  Most think there are many fake keichs out there, I would say most are genuine or at least largely genuine.  I think this one is not entirely fake but a large part is painted.

And it’s possible to have a dorsal prep with a ventral skull if the neck and thus the head was twisted or if the skull was badly prepped so it appears to be ventral.

Steelhead is right, you’d get much better ones from the auction site.  Personally, I won’t touch this one.

BCD70CF2-FE49-495B-836E-B39106E5A6EB.jpeg

0ECE2B9B-C164-4419-BD97-78C97DC616BF.jpeg

4E30EC6F-4B0B-425F-905A-22AEED039FBE.jpeg

3 hours ago, Haravex said:

Ok just to confirm this formation they are found from are composed of limestone correct? And acetone will not affect any of the natural elements of this fossil?

Here is where the keichs come from.  Andy is right, it’s shale.

651E9456-B15B-42DA-BA78-F9AE0CD73FD2.jpeg

AB930D5A-0585-4C99-AAE8-C5C27A3B8ADF.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

Here is where the keichs come from.  Andy is right, it’s shale.

Those pictures are both amazing and terrifying. I've never seen pictures of this area before.

I also attach photos of raw specimens before acid prepped so that we could see the difference of before and after acid treatment.

F4DABB80-576A-428A-9699-5B830FE94ED0.jpeg

0980075B-072F-455E-B42D-33305AB300F3.jpeg

02CD23E5-DB1C-4225-A9D8-01A46051BF4B.jpeg

8 hours ago, LiamL said:

So did they carve the head and tail onto the rock then paint over it.

Yes they did. It looked like a whole Keichousaurus initially, but acetone removed the paint.

7 hours ago, Crazyhen said:

Here is where the keichs come from.  Andy is right, it’s shale...

These are rare and unpublished photos. Thank you so much for posting my friend @Crazyhen! As it was a huge contribution to all the fossil collectors who looked for these wonderful images, which until then was simply inaccessible. Congratulations on the post! Amazing and wonderful! :o

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

My friend @Haravex. A dorsal preparation presenting a ventral skull does not mean much here, for as our friend Crazyhen said, the neck could have buckled, or a bad prepation was made. But I discard both hipóses. I believe that with the natural movement of the bottom of the water, the skull might well have moved from the cervical vertebra, and then turned upside down, so much so that the skull actually seems to be completely dislocated from the last cervical vertebrae:

image.png.db97641e23b5b26959307fab8ba3a381.png

But this unfortunately does not attest 100% originality, because of the photos you posted, because even if they are of poor quality, I believe that many parts are painted:

image.png.cebce8f0c5d5e22c4d30cbdf6bf9a7b9.png

image.png.0163dc097fad0e360a4e1ab5a73e7fb6.png

Even in this area, the ink seems to explode out, screaming for help! Look:

image.png.e593f2c7962b702c2234fec5960160d1.png

My advice is exactly the same from everyone here. That is, I would stay far away from this! I agree, because at our favorite auction site, you can get infinitely better specimens than this one.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Archived