Carol

Shark's Teeth Hunting In Savannah, Georgia

10 posts in this topic

Planning a trip to Savannah. We were told that shark's teeth hunting is possible there. Can anyone tell me of some good sites?

I've found a few walking the beach out on Tybee Island on the north east corner.

I've found a few walking the beach out on Tybee Island on the north east corner.

Two years ago I hired a guy with a boat to take us to beach areas along the Savannah River. We founf some really good sharks teeth, but he was walking with us and found a huge tooth! I thought maybe he'd give it to my daughter since it was "our" trip. Nope, he kept it. I am actually looking for someone to take us again, but this time I will negotiate who gets first crack at looking...he was walking ahead of us and to the side. I think that was the best hunting I had seen in Savannah, but you have to hire a boat, and watch out for the Freighters, they are HUGE and the wake they put out can catch you unaware. :)

I'm there right now, I'll be beach combing later, so I'd love to hear what all you found. :)

I know of a prehistoric beach where some Megalodon sharks teeth have been found in that area. You will need some type of water craft to get to it from the close by public boat ramp. Not a long traverse on the water. I just looked at the map and its about 1hr NE of Savannah. Not sure how much a newbie is willing to invest.

Edited by Lee Taylor

Out on tybee island, near the fort, picked up a small tooth as high tide was peaking, probably better at low tide.

post-12799-0-86448900-1376155305_thumb.jpg

Teeth can be found on the beaches and river banks, small teeth, not very plentiful. Diving is more productive, but need time to find the spots and knowledge of diving in low vis or blackout conditions, not for the faint of heart.

Florida beaches around Jacksonville are more productive.

Two years ago I hired a guy with a boat to take us to beach areas along the Savannah River. We founf some really good sharks teeth, but he was walking with us and found a huge tooth! I thought maybe he'd give it to my daughter since it was "our" trip. Nope, he kept it. I am actually looking for someone to take us again, but this time I will negotiate who gets first crack at looking...he was walking ahead of us and to the side. I think that was the best hunting I had seen in Savannah, but you have to hire a boat, and watch out for the Freighters, they are HUGE and the wake they put out can catch you unaware. smile.gif

One can't help wondering if the big tooth was a plant.

I would like to testify that I found a shark tooth .I found the tooth at least 30 miles inland Savannah,2-3ft. underground while digging a footer.Tooth size 5in.w x 4in.L.

I would like to testify that I found a shark tooth .I found the tooth at least 30 miles inland Savannah,2-3ft. underground while digging a footer.Tooth size 5in.w x 4in.L.

Sounds great! got a pic?