• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Carol

Carol

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:15 PM

Planning a trip to Savannah. We were told that shark's teeth hunting is possible there. Can anyone tell me of some good sites?

#2 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

I've found a few walking the beach out on Tybee Island on the north east corner.
If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

#3 jwfornow

jwfornow

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:11 AM

I've found a few walking the beach out on Tybee Island on the north east corner.

Two years ago I hired a guy with a boat to take us to beach areas along the Savannah River. We founf some really good sharks teeth, but he was walking with us and found a huge tooth! I thought maybe he'd give it to my daughter since it was "our" trip. Nope, he kept it. I am actually looking for someone to take us again, but this time I will negotiate who gets first crack at looking...he was walking ahead of us and to the side. I think that was the best hunting I had seen in Savannah, but you have to hire a boat, and watch out for the Freighters, they are HUGE and the wake they put out can catch you unaware. :)

#4 Cryptidsaurian

Cryptidsaurian

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

I'm there right now, I'll be beach combing later, so I'd love to hear what all you found. :)

#5 Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:05 PM

I know of a prehistoric beach where some Megalodon sharks teeth have been found in that area. You will need some type of water craft to get to it from the close by public boat ramp. Not a long traverse on the water. I just looked at the map and its about 1hr NE of Savannah. Not sure how much a newbie is willing to invest.

Edited by Lee Taylor, 24 October 2011 - 08:06 PM.

#6 BrockGrimes

BrockGrimes

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

Out on tybee island, near the fort, picked up a small tooth as high tide was peaking, probably better at low tide.

Attached Files

#7 fossiloz

fossiloz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

Teeth can be found on the beaches and river banks, small teeth, not very plentiful.  Diving is more productive, but need time to find the spots and knowledge of diving in low vis or blackout conditions, not for the faint of heart.

Florida beaches around Jacksonville are more productive.

#8 mrieder79

mrieder79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

Two years ago I hired a guy with a boat to take us to beach areas along the Savannah River. We founf some really good sharks teeth, but he was walking with us and found a huge tooth! I thought maybe he'd give it to my daughter since it was "our" trip. Nope, he kept it. I am actually looking for someone to take us again, but this time I will negotiate who gets first crack at looking...he was walking ahead of us and to the side. I think that was the best hunting I had seen in Savannah, but you have to hire a boat, and watch out for the Freighters, they are HUGE and the wake they put out can catch you unaware. smile.gif

One can't help wondering if the big tooth was a plant.

#9 hagood692014

hagood692014

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

I would like to testify that I found  a shark tooth .I found the tooth at least 30 miles inland Savannah,2-3ft. underground while digging a footer.Tooth size 5in.w x 4in.L.

#10 mrieder79

mrieder79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

I would like to testify that I found  a shark tooth .I found the tooth at least 30 miles inland Savannah,2-3ft. underground while digging a footer.Tooth size 5in.w x 4in.L.

Sounds great! got a pic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users