Fossil Tooth? Can you help me identiify?

suedbq

This was found near Custer Park in South Dakota.  I know it is part of a jaw bone with a tooth in it but I cannot figure out what kind of mammal it might belong to.  Can you help?

tooth4.jpg

tooth5.jpg

tooth6.jpg

tooth3.jpg

tooth7.jpg

Welcome to the Forum! :)

It may be of Hyracodon.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Welcome to the Forum! :)

It may be of Hyracodon.

I also agree- Oligocene Hyracodon lower jaw portion with a tooth.

Someone must have dropped it at Custer State Park- I do not believe that there are any Oligocene exposures in Custer- 50 or so miles to the East yes.

A lightening strike mammal tooth, now there's a nifty item.

59 minutes ago, suedbq said:

tooth4.jpg

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

14 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Someone must have dropped it at Custer State Park- I do not believe that there are any Oligocene exposures in Custer- 50 or so miles to the East yes.

Hi.  That is possible.  I was walking on a trail near Hermosa and it was just sitting there in the middle of the trail.

2 hours ago, suedbq said:

Hi.  That is possible.  I was walking on a trail near Hermosa and it was just sitting there in the middle of the trail.

Good to know- thanks.

Thanks for the information.  I appreciate it.  I plan on making a shadow box for it and wanted to be able to put some kind of label on it. 

Archived