KimTexan

I found this a few weeks ago in the North Sulfur River and would like to know if it is a fossil of some sort or just hématite or some other iron rich material. There is a fare amount of iron rich material in the NSR, but most of it is smooth and not bumpy like this. 

I’m inclined to think it’s not a fossil, but would like to confirm before I discard it.

165FCB80-7951-43F4-9C78-D51C3376F1FC.jpeg

391E1F49-3BC5-476B-9424-44C20842F2B2.jpeg

A99D37CA-2108-4858-B021-36501DF5C0D3.jpeg

It looks botryoidal hematite, to me.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 hours ago, KimTexan said:

There is a fare amount of iron rich material in the NSR, but most of it is smooth and not bumpy like this. 

At least it is botryoidal. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you all for your comments.

I knew it didn’t look quite like hématite, but I don’t know what you call this type of stone. So I called it hematite for the iron rich content. Although it isn’t that iron rich, because a magnet isn’t attracted to it. 

I see a lot of iron sandstone and it is grainy, but this didn’t have the grain. I also collect concretions and nodules from my travels around the U.S. and it doesn’t look like any of the iron nodules or concretion I have.

It has 2 plains of symmetry. The plain of symmetry on the bottom has a raised section, like a bar running down the middle (first pic). The top side has two raised ridges running down either side of it parallel to one another. The lines on opposite sides are perpendicular to one another, so it doesn’t fit the typical concretion either. It’s a different sort of rock.

It looks like it may be altered pyrite crystals, possibly limonite. Pyrite occurs in the area. What color is the streak!

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

It could be a Marcasite nodule or altered to Goethite (pseudomorph after Pyrite).
Marcasite and Pyrite have black streak, Goethite has a brown yellowish streak, if I'm not wrong.

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 2/20/2018 at 1:08 AM, DPS Ammonite said:

It looks like it may be altered pyrite crystals, possibly limonite. Pyrite occurs in the area. What color is the streak!

I’m not sure what streak you refer too, but overall the surface of the piece is reddish brown to dark brown and the interior is black. 

1 minute ago, KimTexan said:

I’m not sure what streak you refer too, but overall the surface of the piece is reddish brown to dark brown and the interior is black. 

One way of determining the identify of some rocks is to use the streak test. Run the rock along unglazed porcelain (for example, underneath the toilet tank lid) and note its colour. Hematite would show a reddish-brown streak.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Archived