Ordovician gastropods

Gregory Kruse

Hello,

I collected this gastropod from a quarry along the Illinois/Wisconsin (USA) State line.  Can anyone assit me with the identification?  From the attached ID chart, I think that it is Loxonema.  

Thanks!

Greg 

Full page photo.jpg

ordfos.gif

I am only a hobby collector but samples of my local Ordovician gastropods that appear like this are labeled Loxonema in my collection. I have found nothing yet that would alter my labeling. The quarry is likely in the same strata that I collect in. As @Ludwigia says, without a shell, ID is just guesswork. But like Hormatoma, Loxonema never have a shell, yet when I find a Hormatoma, there is no doubt, shell or no shell, it is a Hormatoma. Same seems to be true for Loxonema, again from an "uneducated" collectors perspective. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be the wealth of knowledge about the local Ordovician which is so different than  the Cincinnati Arch area. But check out the Dry Dredger's website to look at similar gastropods of the Ordovician. 

Mike

PS  How did a guy from Wyoming get into a Wisconsin quarry. Consider yourself very lucky!

Picture

Hormotoma is recognised by it's unique shell looking like a coiled pipe. 

It has a screw shell with a small Convex. 

Loxonema
LOWER ORDOVICIAN TO LOWER PENNSYLVANIAN. 
488-318 MYA.

Picture

Loxonema is recognised by it's unique shell that is screw shaped. 

It has a long sharp screw shell with a small Convex.
  • I found this Informative 3

Hello!  Thank you for the insight!  That really helps!  I used to live in Northern Illinois but have been living in Wyoming for over 20 years. Years ago, I used to collect on field trips I took with the Curator at Burpee Museum in  Rockford, IL.    Thanks again!