Is this juvenile horse?

cayosusa

First time out this year.  Peace River miocene to pliocene.  Kind of a poor specimen, but intrigued me because it is so small.  Is it juvenile horse?  Friend said thought it might be 3 toed - but no isolated protocone.  Please help identify.  Thank you!

fullsizeoutput_328b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3287.jpeg

I am addicted to finding small horse teeth and trying to make them into anything but Equus .sp. I love pre-Equus horse teeth and have a reasonable collection. Such teeth are really small. I believe your example is broken.. the complete tooth would be larger but even at this size, it is almost certainly Equus.

This topic of small horse teeth has been extensively discussed on TFF in previous threads. Search for Nannippus in upper right search window. You will find many references and examples including this one where @Harry Pristis provides many examples and insightful comments. 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/74303-horse-tooth-size/

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

When searching make sure you select "All Content".

Or come out of the thread and search on the main page of the forum. 

Otherwise it just searches the section that you are in. 

You should get 70+ results for "nannohippus". 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png