What Is It?

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon
it's a carnivorous marsupial lion from australia. aka carnivorous kangaroo.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!

You are 99.9% Correct. Yes it is an unerupted carnassial tooth from Thylacoleo carnifex - the marsupial lion from Australia. The .1% that is wrong is that it's not the carnivorous kangaroo - that's a different critter, but I declare you the winner. Congrats and thanks for playing our game.

Your virtual box of rocks will be arriving virtually anytime.

Seriously though, you da man.

I'll put up another stumper soon.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!

You are 99.9% Correct. Yes it is an unerupted carnassial tooth from Thylacoleo carnifex - the marsupial lion from Australia. The .1% that is wrong is that it's not the carnivorous kangaroo - that's a different critter, but I declare you the winner. Congrats and thanks for playing our game.

Your virtual box of rocks will be arriving virtually anytime.

Seriously though, you da man.

I'll put up another stumper soon.

lol...i cant wait to see my rocks! i knew id seen that molar before...it just took me a little while to dig it out of my cluttered mind. i def wouldnt want to be chewed on by one of them! lets see if i can get the next one. thanks! :rolleyes:

Talk about your rare, exotic fossil!

5 napkins on the drool meter :drool:

What's the story on this thing?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Smilodon
Talk about your rare, exotic fossil!

5 napkins on the drool meter :drool:

What's the story on this thing?

Ok, so here is the story entitled, “It’s a Small World After All”

So I’m in Tucson chatting with Geoff, another dealer friend who knows what I’m interested in. He says he’s getting some interesting material in the next morning. “Ok, what is it.” I ask. He says, “marsupial lion and Tasmanian tiger.” I get back up off the ground and ask when he opens up tomorrow.

Of course I’m there ½ hour earlier expecting half of Tucson to be there. But no one else is there. Geoff shows me the stuff – I was expecting frags of bone and jaws – but they are virtually entire teeth. Being a typical aggressive dealer I ask “How much for all of it?” “I have already told other customers so I can only sell you 1 specimen.” Of course I pick the best one.

I’m with a friend of some fossil note that day and after showing the prize off to more friends, I see that the root is breaking off in small pieces. The tooth is unerupted and the roots are not fully formed and quite fragile. I voice my concern that more will break off to my friend. He says he could fix it for me. Thanks but no thanks.

He then says let’s take it over to Pete, he’ll know what to do. Pete wipes up after seeing it and then goes on for 15 minutes about how to do it but I lost him after about 2 min. “Pete, will you just do it for me I’ll pay you?” Pete says he doesn’t have time – ask Bob.

I show it to Bob, Bob wipes up. “I would do it for you, but we’re just so backed up. Leon could probably do it for you.”

I show it to Leon but Leon has a funny look on his face. “Uh where did you get this?”, he asks. I tell him I got it from Geoff about 2 hours ago. “Oh,” says Leon, “I asked because I sold this to Geoff this morning!!!!!!”

So I regain my composure and ask Leon if he’ll repair and stabilize it and why he didn’t do it before he sold it to Geoff. “Oh, I just didn’t feel like doing it, but if you’ll pay me, sure!”

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you can find a few weird things in Tucson if you're there when a dealer opens his boxes. If you're talking about the same Geoff I'm thinking of, he's a good guy. I got a fossil bandicoot jaw from him once. One premolar was floating in the same box and fit perfectly. My 3-tooth jaw became a 4-tooth jaw in no time.

It sounds like you were in the ballroom at the Innsuites, assuming "Pete" is one of the Larson Brothers and "Bob" is Bob the Glue Guy (Starbond?) and Leon is Leon Theissen (might have misspelled his name).