What Is It?

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

It's a hot humid day here, it's august and nothing is going on, so I thought I'd throw some things on here over a couple of weeks just to have a little fun. The tooth is about 2 inches long.

I'm not bragging - it's more about sharing and educating/learning. First one to get it right earns a virtual box of rocks. And, oh the story that goes with this fossil.

post-2027-1249674318_thumb.jpg

Could you post a pic of the other side?

So far I have no idea of what that tooth

belongs to.

Welcome to the forum!

Guest Smilodon
Could you post a pic of the other side?

So far I have no idea of what that tooth

belongs to.

Hi Roz,

The other side is identical - it really wouldn't help in identifying it.

BTW, I should say that I do know what it is.

"Tooth" you say....

Well, I'm snookered.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks kind of "feline" to me. Where was your avater photo shot? Looks like the chalk of Western Kansas.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Guest Smilodon
Looks kind of "feline" to me. Where was your avater photo shot? Looks like the chalk of Western Kansas.

That was going to be one of my late summer stumpers, but seeing as you are from Kansas, you found me out. Gove County, about two miles south of Monument Rocks.

Check out my website - the banner picture should look familiar to you.

www.millersfossils.com

Odd that you should say that it looks kinda feline. I'll leave it at that for now. This will not be easy.

post-2027-1249693887_thumb.png

Guest Smilodon
What is it a sabertooth tiger's tooth?

Nope - sorry if my post was confusing. Not that easy.

I'll post some clues (unhelpful as they may be) on Saturday.

Guest Smilodon
Nope - sorry if my post was confusing. Not that easy.

I'll post some clues (unhelpful as they may be) on Saturday.

Here we go:

This specimen is complete but unerupted - so the roots had not yet formed

It is from the Pleistocene.

The first complete skeleton of the critter was only found about 4 years ago although the first fossil was found in the 1800s

It co-existed with Man for at least a brief while as a Cave painting was discovered earlier this year.

The critter was most definitely a carnivore but its closest living relatives are herbivores.

and lastly,

If I posted a photo of its skull which I will later today, I doubt that anyone would be able to guess. Even though the critter is not uncommon in the only country it is found.

Still pretty tough, huh?

Here we go:

This specimen is complete and unerupted - so the roots had not yet formed

It is from the Pleistocene.

The first complete skeleton of the critter was only found about 4 years ago although the first fossil was found in the 1800s

It co-existed with Man for at least a brief while as a Cave painting was discovered earlier this year.

The critter was most definitely a carnivore but its closest living relatives are herbivores.

and lastly,

If I posted a photo of its skull which I will later today, I doubt that anyone would be able to guess. Even though the critter is not uncommon in the only country it is found.

Still pretty tough, huh?

Obviously a sea turtle tailbone. (no smiley, is he SERIOUS?)

Sloth?

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Guest Smilodon
Obviously a sea turtle tailbone. (no smiley, is he SERIOUS?)

I thought you would say, "Surely you jest." To which I would reply, "No, I'm completely serious. And don't call me Shirley!"

I'm thinking one of those hoofed carnivores, wolf-pig thingies. I din't think they made it ot the pleistocene though.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Guest Smilodon
I'm thinking one of those hoofed carnivores, wolf-pig thingies. I din't think they made it ot the pleistocene though.

Brent Ashcraft

You are correct in that hoofed, wolf-pig thingies did not make it to the Pleistocene.

(crickets)

BTW, what's a hoofed wolf-pig thingie?

(I keed, I keed)

Glyptodont?

Orangutan?

Guest Smilodon
Glyptodont?

Orangutan?

Jeepster,

How do I say this, ummmm I liked your thinking, but I didn't say that you were close. Y'all know I'm trying to be as enigmatic as I can be.

The skull this afternoon. Tonight, the answer

(With all of these posts, you may think I don't have a life, but I'm housebound recovering from surgery)

Jeepster,

How do I say this, ummmm I liked your thinking, but I didn't say that you were close. Y'all know I'm trying to be as enigmatic as I can be.

They are all simply guesses, normally with no connection to any other posts I may have made in the past... ;-)

I wasnt trying to base it off of what I had said... but rather what you have said... :rolleyes:

The skull this afternoon. Tonight, the answer...

Thank goodness; I was afraid this was going to turn into a Mary Worth serial comic! :P

(Plus, I'm dying to know)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank goodness; I was afraid this was going to turn into a Mary Worth serial comic! :P

(Plus, I'm dying to know)

Pearls Before Swine fan? Me too :D

It's a hot humid day here, it's august and nothing is going on, so I thought I'd throw some things on here over a couple of weeks just to have a little fun. The tooth is about 2 inches long.

I'm not bragging - it's more about sharing and educating/learning. First one to get it right earns a virtual box of rocks. And, oh the story that goes with this fossil.

post-2027-1249674318_thumb.jpg

I would like to see a view of the left side on the pic. It is either the root side or the working end.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,

I GIVE YOU THE SKULL OF THE BEAST!

post-2027-1249755852_thumb.jpg post-2027-1249755890_thumb.jpg

It is a Short-Faced Bear Canine Tooth

The best days are spent collecting fossils