Trip to the North Sulphur River - Turtle Plastron?

rcranch

My first post, so hopefully I can figure out how to post some photos of this find.  I have been going out to the NSR some and have found the usual bone fragments, vertebrae, etc. but this was something unique for me.  Thought I would post it to see if I am correct on the identification.  From what I have learned this is probably a large piece of turtle plastron.  It is about 1 inch thick, so I assume this was a big turtle?  Has a unique pattern to the surface and the other side has what appears to be large scrape marks?  Now that I have got started posting on the forum, I hope to continue sharing some of my finds.  Thanks for any input.  Tommy

20180130_205702_resized (1).jpg

20180219_102509_resized.jpg

20180219_102535_resized.jpg

20180219_102632_resized.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Welcome to the forum. You are correct on the ID and it does have some cool scavenging marks most likely from shark. Nice find. Here's one I found last year in that area.

download.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Thanks for the reply, appears these could have come from the same size turtle.  I assume these come from the belly portion of the turtle?  My piece is pretty flat with no curvature.  

The shape is right for turtle but the broken edge doesn’t look right for turtle plastron or carapace. It looks too solid. Usually turtle shell has a lot of large holes in cross section.

• I found this Informative 1

45 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

The shape is right for turtle but the broken edge doesn’t look right for turtle plastron or carapace. It looks too solid. Usually turtle shell has a lot of large holes in cross section.

I wonder if it depends on the genus or some other factor? I have plenty of turtle shell that's pretty solid like what is shown. But I have also seen some pieces that look like they have ~pea sized 'pores' in them. Hmm.

Thanks for all the input.  I now realize that the carapace is the top portion of the shell and the plastron is the bottom.  I am slowly picking up on the technical side of this and this was my first experience with a turtle.  I have attached a close-up of the side view that I believe does show some holes, some of the sides are more weathered than others.  I probably could have cleaned it a little bit more also?   See if this looks better for turtle fossil. 

20180219_124629_resized.jpg

16 minutes ago, rcranch said:

See if this looks better for turtle fossil. 

That looks better. I think it is turtle.

49 minutes ago, rcranch said:

Thanks for all the input.  I now realize that the carapace is the top portion of the shell and the plastron is the bottom.  I am slowly picking up on the technical side of this and this was my first experience with a turtle.  I have attached a close-up of the side view that I believe does show some holes, some of the sides are more weathered than others.  I probably could have cleaned it a little bit more also?   See if this looks better for turtle fossil. 

Turtle. That's a nice piece for NSR

50 minutes ago, rcranch said:

Carapace pieces are a little more hard to find at NSR. Here's one from my last trip. They are thinner and seem to be more broken up. 

27500536_10209333196767399_6450285556655791769_o.thumb.jpg.3afac316ae931d1eb910a78f877e9bb4.jpg

I was curious about the carapace, now that I know it is the top portion of the shell.  I need to go through my unidentified bone fragment pile and see if I have something that looks like this, I think that I do? 

Here are a few smaller fragments that might qualify for the carapace.  They all appear to be bone, versus petrified wood, and are thin.   The biggest piece is about 2" X 3".  

20180219_143223_resized.jpg

20180219_143823_resized.jpg

2 hours ago, rcranch said:

20180219_124629_resized.jpg

The first few shots were hard to tell, but this shot is very helpful. It is a lovely piece of shell. The coloring is very nice. Most of what you see from out there is solid brown or black. Very cool find.

2 hours ago, rcranch said:

Here are a few smaller fragments that might qualify for the carapace.  They all appear to be bone, versus petrified wood, and are thin.   The biggest piece is about 2" X 3".  

That all looks like turtle to me. You have some nice finds. 

Appreciate everyone's comments and assistance.  Now I am all pumped up to get back out there, lot's of rain forecast this week!  

Since it is flooding at the NSR and there will be no hunting for a few days or weeks, I decided to dig into my unidentified bone pile.  I need to acquire some books that will help me identify these more unique pieces but based on my notes, these 3 pieces were found near the turtle plastron shown above.  Could these be from a turtle or are they from something entirely different?  I know that much of the material found at the NSR come from the Mosasaurs but these were completely different than anything else I have found.  Thanks

20180223_154322_resized.jpg

20180223_154335_resized.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2018 at 4:00 PM, rcranch said:

Since it is flooding at the NSR and there will be no hunting for a few days or weeks, I decided to dig into my unidentified bone pile.  I need to acquire some books that will help me identify these more unique pieces but based on my notes, these 3 pieces were found near the turtle plastron shown above.  Could these be from a turtle or are they from something entirely different?  I know that much of the material found at the NSR come from the Mosasaurs but these were completely different than anything else I have found.  Thanks

20180223_154322_resized.jpg

20180223_154335_resized.jpg

These are mosasaur.  

Thanks, appreciate the help with the identification.  There is much to learn.  I did find a copy of the book, "Fossil Collector's Guidebook to the NSR", this should help.  

Edited by rcranch

Will help a little.  Check out mosasaur scapula and then other paddle assembly bones.  The one on the right could be something else.  Need more pics.  

Thanks, appears and the first and second one are for sure the scapula.  The third one may be the same but has just had more wear and tear.  I attached a couple more pics showing different views.  

20180314_162409_resized.jpg

20180314_162435_resized.jpg

I like the bite marks on it. It tells a story. I have a plastron from the Oligocene that also has scrapes from shark scavenging.