Dinosaur bone?

Kingofthekats

Yes, some sort of Pennsylvanian Coal measures plant stem or trunk. 

No idea which one.

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, some sort of Pennsylvanian Coal measures plant stem or trunk. 

No idea which one.

Agree with this, would make more sense with the area. Wouldn’t rule out some strange man made material though.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

"Psaronius, a tree fern, was the dominant plant in Late Pennsylvanian coal swamps, comprising as much as 85 to 90 percent of some coals. The first comprehensive review of Psaronius taxonomy is given based upon examination of 136 silicified specimens including several type specimens. Using photographs and drawings, the internal structure and ontogenetic development of various species are illustrated."

Mickle, J.E. (1984)

Taxonomy of specimens of the Pennsylvanian age marattialean fern Psaronius from Ohio and Illinois.

Illinois State Museum Scientific Papers, 19:1-64

"The tree fern Psaronius, comprising 97.1% of the total identifiable plant remains of the fern group, consists primarily of root mantle which was 67.5% of the total remains of the ferns. The inner zone roots were 37.5%, and the outer roots were 30.0°/o of the total fern debris. Stems and petioles contributed 25.0% of the total volume of the fern remnants." 

Feng, B.C. (1989)

Paleoecology of an upper Middle Pennsylvanian coal swamp from western Pennsylvania, USA. 

Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 57:299-312

• I found this Informative 4

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

that flinty look reminds me of the frequent finds of paleozoic marine fauna in the area. Am thinking this is not wood. Can't honestly say that it's a coral or bryozoan though. Perhaps a close up of one of the cells would help. Is this a small pebble?

It's an interesting specimen.
The material looks like chert, flint or similar silica-rich material.
The little rings are on all surfaces, some of them having a little darker hole in the middle. It might be a geological wonder rather than plant material.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

19 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

It's an interesting specimen.
The material looks like chert, flint or similar silica-rich material.
The little rings are on all surfaces, some of them having a little darker hole in the middle. It might be a geological wonder rather than plant material.

After looking at the new pictures, I agree with a geologic. Possibly a silica replacement of oolitic limestone.

Palm or fern should have tubercles not dots.

• I found this Informative 3

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I found it. They are ooids in chert (chert oolite), a rare variant.

DSCN8899.JPG.a8d4c713742407a1c81181a9b00178d4.thumb.JPG.21893f98f375d28a6e6ca4ca592e6022.JPGGatesburgUSandy_zpsqincannw.jpg.cb55992d179333a8a90aa289b5e850b5.jpg

Tony beat me to it, meantime.

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

ynot :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: abyssunder

Thomas Mann

My Library

Nice to know it is something more likely to occur in Kingofthekats neighborhood. Lots of paleozoic limestone just upstream.