It's real? I have no idea what this is!

Seguidora-de-Isis

I have a few Enchodus teeth from the kem kem beds smaller by the looks of it than your one in the jaw, I'll post the pictures for reference tomorrow when back home.

3 hours ago, Troodon said:

Documentation supporting Enchodus in Akrabou Formation

Screenshot_20180220-171556.thumb.jpg.89bd8a5a711af80c2ed99b91d879ff16.jpg

Screenshot_20180220-170842.thumb.jpg.1357ded1728351dec97dfeed24d59d49.jpg

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0125786

Oh yes! I agree! This specimen I presented here, leaves no doubt that it was discovered in Kem Kem beds.

And judging by the coloring as a whole, and typical and classic sand, however much and never, some Enchodus had been discovered in Kem Kem beds, to this day, yet I would be able to bet all my chips that this specimen is of Kem Kem.

• I found this Informative 2

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

• 1 month later...

I apologize for resurrecting this topic, but some doubts have come to my mind ...

1) The jaw of this Enchodus Fish is upper or lower? Right or left?

2) Due to the fact that it has probably been excavated at the Goulmima Assembly (Kem Kem Basin), in Akrabou, Morocco, there is some possibility of being of the species Enchodus libycus, or for the time being it will require more studies and an undetermined species of Enchodus?

I thank you for the answers!

@Troodon

03.PNG

What is recorded from that formation is Enchodus sp.  So nothing has yet been described.

E. libycus appears to be a maastrichtian age species

Here are a few jaw images from Oceans of Kansas to help you with location.  Think its an upper right but cannot really be certain.

e-petro7.jpg.48246af4d2ff92340e8d0d67be3cac10.jpgEPC-Enchodus2002-2b.jpg.35151ba05c9b1dc3fe1bb2fd9115e393.jpgScreenshot_20180327-160616.thumb.jpg.8cdb86ce6cd677983d2f760c09deb2ad.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

5 hours ago, Troodon said:

What is recorded from that formation is Enchodus sp.  So nothing has yet been described...

Oh Yes, I know that Enchodus libycus is usually discovered in the Maastrichtian in Morocco. It is precisely for this reason that this doubt came to my mind. Yes I agree, also I think it's an upper right, but two reviews is always better than one :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:!

Thank you my friend troodon! :D

03.PNG

Usually the fossils of the Enchodus libycus fish are discovered in Phosphate deposits in Khouribga, Morocco (marine sediments), and now the Enchodus fish can also be discovered in Kem Kem beds (predominantly freshwater sediments)? So in this case, a good explanation for this is that maybe the Enchodus may have been an anadromous fish, that is, that lived in the sea, but migrated to the rivers to reproduce, just as salmon does today. The problem with this is that occasionally the Enchodus, it became vulnerable to various types of predators, such as pterosaurs, crocodiles and even fish-eating dinosaurs such as Spinosaurids... :o Who knows from this moment we have to get used to images like this:

Aenchodus.PNG

And with more discoveries, when finally the scientific description is made, who knows we will have something like: Enchodus Kem, or perhaps Enchodus Saharicus? :D

• I found this Informative 1

03.PNG

On 21-2-2018 at 1:20 AM, Troodon said:

Documentation supporting Enchodus in Akrabou Formation

Screenshot_20180220-171556.thumb.jpg.89bd8a5a711af80c2ed99b91d879ff16.jpg

Screenshot_20180220-170842.thumb.jpg.1357ded1728351dec97dfeed24d59d49.jpg

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0125786

Hi Troodon,

Correct me if I'm wrong, beause I don't understand a thing here: is your article not refering to the Goulmima formation and be Turonian where the limestone is really white (fossils often black or dark brown or grey) This piece of jaw seems to be Cenomanian to me - and have no connection to the Goulmima area/formations/era? I don't understand a thing in your article 'this feature is unknown in the Kem Kem assemblage'...?

cheers

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Fitch1979 said:

Hi Troodon,

Correct me if I'm wrong, beause I don't understand a thing here: is your article not refering to the Goulmima formation and be Turonian where the limestone is really white (fossils often black or dark brown or grey) This piece of jaw seems to be Cenomanian to me - and have no connection to the Goulmima area/formations/era? I don't understand a thing in your article 'this feature is unknown in the Kem Kem assemblage'...?

cheers

Just as some Khouribga material is also redish, then it is clear that some Goulmima material may also be redish. I do not particularly see problems with this. Especially if we take into account that Kem Kem beds are still not well understood.

03.PNG

I am just reporting what the article is stating and that is enchodus is present in the Faunal list for the Goulmima assemblage.  I have to believe the papers authors are accurately representing their findings. Your question should be directed at the authors of the paper, L. Cavin et al. or geologist familiar with that region.   

I will add that  paper also provides photos of excavation sites in the Goulmima assemblages, the color looks redish.  The color of the gastropods in the last photo is very similiar to the jaw.

Screenshot_20180328-051848.jpg.08bfa75f14ff5ccd2c072d4240188282.jpgScreenshot_20180328-053003.jpg.43c939532ddf0b31f11c29476577f0dd.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Hey guys,

I've been a couple of times to Goulmima and I have seen nothing red overthere ..  :)

I've been more so to these Kem Kem formations .. and really would link this piece of vertebrate to something around Erfoud-Taouz (red!)

Cheers,

8 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Just as some Khouribga material is also redish

.. I feel a noob :) haven't seen that yet ..  :)