It's real? I have no idea what this is!

Seguidora-de-Isis

Hello. Good afternoon to everyone here of my favorite forum! :wub:

I just bought this. But the only thing the seller knows is that came from Morocco, North Africa, but the exact location, geological formation, unfortunately the seller does not know. But due to the fragmentation of red sand, I particularly suspect that this fossil is from Kem Kem. But what is this? Enchodus partial jaw section and tooth fossil? I do not know! Is this 100% real or a compound? Thank you for your help!

image.thumb.png.5797e15eaac797d9749ddfc6779438b2.png

image.thumb.png.2a600573c12739ba1fe0ed4f3627b477.png

image.png.9cbcdc9c675c81156e4b45c3fddf2b23.png

image.png.ef7ee7e944778996d2b7e2ef731ee139.png

image.png.c96e87b7a28488e3368f264a75aa2259.png

@Troodon @Tidgy's Dad @Foozil  @hxmendoza @RJB  @caldigger

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Well, definitely looks neat. I am going to predict someone will classify it as a fish of sorts, lets see this play out. :popcorn: 

• I found this Informative 1

rydysig.JPG

2 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Hello. Good afternoon to everyone here of my favorite forum! :wub:

I just bought this. But the only thing the seller knows is that came from Morocco, North Africa, but the exact location, geological formation, unfortunately the seller does not know. But due to the fragmentation of red sand, I particularly suspect that this fossil is from Kem Kem. But what is this? Enchodus partial jaw section and tooth fossil? I do not know! Is this 100% real or a compound? Thank you for your help!

@Troodon @Tidgy's Dad @Foozil  @hxmendoza @RJB  @caldigger

Shouldn't you be asking all these questions BEFORE you buy?;)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Yes, Enchodus from Kem Kem. 

Nice piece, though you can see the tooth was originally broken, I think it's all the same tooth. 

Can we see the join where it is fixed to the root?

Or are these seller's pics all that is available?

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Really looks like Enchodus to me. Nice buy though.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

36 minutes ago, RJB said:

I was going to say Enchodus, but that may be redundant.  ha!  :)

RB

Enchodus, Enchodus, Enchodus!  

There, that takes care of the next few posts.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

20 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Shouldn't you be asking all these questions BEFORE you buy?;)

I may not even know what kind of specimen it is, but if I'm at least 90% sure it's real, and if it's beautiful, I'll buy it first and ask questions later. In the past, I've had bitter experiences asking questions first and two minutes later the specimen has been sold to someone else. But I am fully aware that you are right, but collecting what we collect, not always exist a way to put this beautiful theory into practice, because the risk is big! ;)

03.PNG

20 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, Enchodus from Kem Kem. 

Nice piece, though you can see the tooth was originally broken, I think it's all the same tooth. 

Can we see the join where it is fixed to the root?

Or are these seller's pics all that is available?

My great friend from so far away! A big pleasure to see that you also came here to help me! Actually I also tried to observe join where it is fixed to the root, but unfortunately these are all the photos that the seller has made available. On the other hand, this seller is of my entire confidence, I trust him very much, so I am sure that even without photos, surely everything will be right. Huge hug and thanks for the charisma and this wonderful person that you are!  :wub:

03.PNG

1 minute ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

My great friend from so far away! A big pleasure to see that you also came here to help me! Actually I also tried to observe join where it is fixed to the root, but unfortunately these are all the photos that the seller has made available. On the other hand, this seller is of my entire confidence, I trust him very much, so I am sure that even without photos, surely everything will be right. Huge hug and thanks for the charisma and this wonderful person that you are!  :wub:

It is a long way isn't it! I still find it amazing that we can communicate in an international group like this and share knowledge, laughter and friendship.

I'm sure you will be happy with the result of your purchase, it's a nice piece. Hugs to you my kind and  marvelous friend. :wub:

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Kosmoceras said:

I thought these enchodus teeth usually come from the phosphate deposits of Ouled Abdoun, Morocco?

I also did not know that it was possible to find enchodus in Kem Kem! :o

03.PNG

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Encodus has been described from the Goulmima assemblage which is Akrabou.

Mystery solved! Thank you my friend @Troodon!

03.PNG

4 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Mystery solved! Thank you my friend @Troodon!

Color is not typical of what is seen in the phosphate beds most of those are a cream color which is What you typically see sold.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Color is not typical of what is seen in the phosphate beds most of those are a cream color which is What you typically see sold.

It is true! The coloring was the first thing I noticed when I bought it, I soon realized it was from Kem Kem, but I was curious because I did not know that Encodus could also be discovered in Kem Kem's beds. :o

And thank you, my friend @Troodon. I have you in my heart. I have already lost count of how many times you have already helped me. I am very grateful! :wub:

03.PNG

Some Khouribga material is also redish. This colour looks fairly similar to some Mosasaur material I have. Specifically this one seems to match quite well in terms of colour. I've never heard of Enchodus being present in Kem Kem before.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite