Trilobite Help, Please!

Dpaul7

I am looking to confirm the taxonomy on this piece!  I can find NO information on this genus/species!

It is listed as Duetina Vietnamina.  It's a nice fossil... but I can find NO information on it!

Thanks!

Dpaul7 :trilo:

DUETINA VIETNAMINA TRILOBITE 1.jpg

Duetina vietnamina is not a valid species - the correct species name is Ductina vietnamica. The complete taxonomy is listed below:

Class Trilobita

Order Phacopida

Suborder Phacopina

Superfamily Phacopoidea

Family Phacopidae

Genus Ductina

Species D. vietnamica

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

17 minutes ago, Dpaul7 said:

I am looking to confirm the taxonomy on this piece!  I can find NO information on this genus/species!

It is listed as Duetina Vietnamina.  It's a nice fossil... but I can find NO information on it!

This is an excellent paper, although it also misspells the species as Ductina 'vietnamila' :doh!: :P 

No wonder it is difficult to find info on Ductina vietnamica.  Check your PM - file sent! :fistbump:

Han, N., & Chen G.Y. (2007)
Moulting variability in the Middle Devonian trilobite Ductina from Nandan, Guangxi, China.
Acta Palaeontologica Sinica, 46(2):167-182

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

+1 on Ductina vietnamica. It is found in the Eifelian and Pragian stages of the Devonian. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Here is the paper that first described Ductina vietnamica

Maximova, Zlata Aleksandrovna 1965
Novye devonskie trilobity Severnogo Vietnama. [New Devonian Trilobites from North Vietnam.]
Ezhegodnik Vsesouiznogo Paleontologicheskogo Obschchestva, 17:174-179

Google Translate did a somewhat decent job translating the Cyrillic: 

A trilobite of medium size. Head shield semicircular, with a straight backward. Dorsal sulci almost not are expressed, as a result of which glabella, occipital. With oblique lighting, sometimes It can be seen that the dorsal furrows diverge in the sides ahead and turn back, not getting to the point. Eyes and facial seams are absent. In the middle part is expanded, usually the divider on the rare seam and moved to the back the head shield, where the armor is formed over it. The trunk is bulging with a narrow rachis and has 11 segments. Tail shield almost semicircular with a slight concavity along the rachis.  Rachis is weakly outlined, wide, the plane almost reaches the rear distinguish smooth, the periphery is weakly omitted. Angular articulated separated from the pleura are bent backward furrow. The length of the head shield is 6-10, the trunk is 6-10.5, the caudal shield - 4-10. Of all the known genera of the family. Phacopidae, described species can be attributed only to the genus Ductina, previously considered: monotypic. The Vietnamese view has much greater smoothness of the topography of the head and tail shields, than D. ductifrons and in this respect could be younger than the more ancient representative kind. Identical plan of structure, absence of eyes and facial seams, a peculiar bending of the glabellar furrows of the head shield.  In addition to the greater smoothness of the relief, D. vietnamica sp. nov. differs from D. ductifrons less extending  the middle part of the doublure, more than the trunk and widened slightly by the margin of the caudal shield, having a concavity. Time of existence and geographical: Eiffelian Age of the Middle Devonian, the North Vietnam - South Vietnam.

IMG.jpg.02b5c5bc3929679c21efb7e699bc9560.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Many thanks - The translation is good!  The lady wrote a good article! Got to give my Russian a workout!

3 hours ago, Douvilleiceras said:

Duetina vietnamina is not a valid species - the correct species name is Ductina vietnamica. The complete taxonomy is listed below:

Class Trilobita

Order Phacopida

Suborder Phacopina

Superfamily Phacopoidea

Family Phacopidae

Genus Ductina

Species D. vietnamica

Accurate and quick ! :trilosurprise:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I really like this forum!  SO many people wiling to help!  I also love looking at everyone's fossils!!!! :trex:

Archived