Hoping to get an opinion on whether this is a fossilized dino egg?

RichMc

I found this in the valley in a rock pile from an old rock avalanche in West Vail, CO. I've given it to my son's 4th grade class to figure out as well. Thanks for any leads. 

Well you have a team of experts on it, why do you need us?:P

A picture might help. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

That is unfortunately not an egg, more likely a concretion. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

That's really egg-like. Let the experts give their advice.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

It's unlikely to be an egg.

I have to say though, it's more egg-like than the usual concretions I see posted here. I can see why you picked this up. If I had saw this from a location known for dino eggs, I would think it's a good candidate. It even has a bumpy texture, and cracks.

I will leave it to the mineral experts to explain why it's a concretion.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Because the team I support would either have won (tears of joy) or lost (regular tears). :PSadly it’s normally the second one, since I support the Ravens (I know your talking about the soccer football but I don’t follow that much).

When i wrote football i thought about soccer, but i nontheless wrote football, because here, soccer is as popular than american football. Mostly among the men who often forget they have a wife and children while they watch a match.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Either way the kids loved the idea of an adult NOT KNOWING so they ran with it. They do really want to know for sure. I do too! 

Even if it's not the real things it's still fun to teach kids about new stuff geology ect. Even help em differentiate later on their own fossil hunting. 

Thanks!

It is very common to see photos of concretions posted on the Forum with the inquiry as to their status as a dinosaur egg. I will say the one you posted is the most convincing I have seen. The second photo gives a distinct dino egg impression - the other shots, shout "concretion." I believe that is what it is.

That being said, I would have picked this one up. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Yes to it been concretion and wow I have been collecting fossil for 25 years and I would have taken that home and asked the TFF for help with an ID because that is egg like.

Thanks for sharing

Bobby

Archived