recent acquisitions

Arizona Rex

I acquired these two pieces from a close acquaintance.  To the best of his recollection, he purchased them at the Tucson gem show some 4 to 5 years ago.  The first is said to be teeth from a coryphodon.  The second, a ceratopsian horn core, possibly nose horn core.  Thank you for any and all assistance. :)

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

I’m not gonna lie, my instinct is rock for the second but I’ll defer to others who know more on the subject.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Your "horn" is definitely bone.  I leaning against it being a Ceratopsian horn core because infant ones have a different profile.  It also lacks veining, very smooth and is round should be oval.   I ran it by a friend of mine in Canada and he believes its ankylosaurid armor remembering something that a paleontologist ID for someone else.  So my two cents still very cool in my opinion and the jaw section is real nice.

Thank you one and all for your help identifying these pieces.  Plus a HUGE, sincere thank you for all the kind words!!  These pieces are front and center in my display case but the light on them is a bit brighter today thanks to your kind words!! :)  I will post additional pictures of the horn/armor piece.  I agree, there doesn't seem to be much veining present in these pics.....funny that I didn't post pictures of the side I display.  I'm probably very wrong but there seems to be some grooves on a part that is not visible in these pics.  To be honest I'm not sure what to hope for - a ceratops horn core would be great, but ankylosaurid armor.....how cool and exciting would that be??!!!  Thanks again!!

Archived