Fossil bone?

Napoleon North

Well it's definitely a left femur. Though from what animal I don't know. And it looks like it could potentially be recent. So as Kane said, using the burn test might help.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

On 2/20/2018 at 11:11 AM, LordTrilobite said:

Well it's definitely a left femur. Though from what animal I don't know. And it looks like it could potentially be recent. So as Kane said, using the burn test might help.

hmm

I trust this forum less and less:(

Subfossils bones can also burn, after all

The burn test would help determine if it was older than a subfossil (~50,000 years old). Also, a number of your finds from this cave have been from recent bones, so it is not an unreasonable request to make to narrow down the possibilities.

Perhaps appealing to the academic literature as opposed to commercial sites would be a much more authoritative source, in this instance.

We are sorry that you are experiencing a loss of trust with the forum. We can only do so much with images. Members are always free to disagree with the identification, and are encouraged to take the specimen in hand to a paleontologist to confirm the identity of the specimen.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 2/20/2018 at 12:03 PM, Napoleon North said:

hmm

I don't understand. 

You have posted several pieces of fox bone and teeth which have been identified by others and me as being fox. 

How are we supposed to tell the age? 

It could be a fox that wandered in and died a few years ago or be much older. 

A burn test helps narrow down the possibilities but we cannot tell the age for sure just by looking at the bones. 

It looks recent to me, but may possibly be older, a burn test would exclude the 'petrified' option of one of your links. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

On 2/20/2018 at 12:03 PM, Napoleon North said:

hmm

Wait what?

I told you what type of bone it is. And I don't know how old it is. And as Tidgy's Dad points out the burn test can help finding out how old the bone could be. How does that make you trust the forum less?

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

11 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Wait what?

I told you what type of bone it is. And I don't know how old it is. And as Tidgy's Dad points out the burn test can help finding out how old the bone could be. How does that make you trust the forum less?

Possible . Please, delete the account.

Napoleon North,

Does not look fossilized to me... the bone ressembles more the bone of an animal living in our period.

Sorry you are losing trust in the fossil forums even if I don't know why,after all the fossil forums is created for us to give advice and clues to the person who posted the picture wanted to be identified.The messages being send are full of information to help you.

Regards.

4 hours ago, Napoleon North said:

hmm

Two questions
1. This shop is jaws from around Krakow and is sold as petrified.

https://www.bigfossil.com/fox-jaw---post-devensian-poland-6037-p.asp

2.And here is the Florida bone.

http://paleoenterprises.com/shop/wolf-dog-fossils/fossil-fox-femur-north-florida/

3 hours ago, Kane said:

The burn test would help determine if it was older than a subfossil (~50,000 years old). Also, a number of your finds from this cave have been from recent bones, so it is not an unreasonable request to make to narrow down the possibilities.

Perhaps appealing to the academic literature as opposed to commercial sites would be a much more authoritative source, in this instance.

We are sorry that you are experiencing a loss of trust with the forum. We can only do so much with images. Members are always free to disagree with the identification, and are encouraged to take the specimen in hand to a paleontologist to confirm the identity of the specimen.

Am I the only one who is confused? Why suddenly delete this account? Also it's kind of hard to tell the age of a mammal bone just from a few images, but why does this mean you trust the forum less. All we have presented to you are what we can tell from the image. But sorry that you trust the forums less:(.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

I know you're trying to give your best, but understand that's not easy to determine bone's age in cave formation due to the specific weathering and depositional conditions, especially if the bone is an isolated one.
An advice, which might help us and you, is to take photos of the specimens - 'in situ'.
Also, archaeologists might help you.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hi,

On 20/02/2018 at 7:31 PM, Napoleon North said:

Possible . Please, delete the account.

One more time ? ! It is at least the second time for which you ask us to delete your account !

Members do their utmost to help you, but they can't make of miracles !

About the burn test, the important is to know if the bone smells burnt hair or not to make the difference between a fossil and a recent bone...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• Fossildude19 locked this topic

Archived