Spinosaur/Plesiosaur

Mitchell88

Hi everyone, I am new to the fossil forum.  These were called Plesiosaurus (light), and Spinosaurus.  I need help properly ID ing them.  The Spinosaurus is not serrated, if I remember, found in Africa, also, what is the pink crystals and dark sand-like covering around the specimen?  As for the Plesiosaurus, Phosphate Beds, Morocco ; upper Cretaceous..

IMG_20180220_142613.jpg

IMG_20180220_142648.jpg

Welcome to the forum 

The one on the right is Plesiosaur can you take a real close up of the one on the left, more in focus and brighter.  Looks like matrix (sand and glue) from the Kem Kem beds of morocco.  The Spinosaurid would not be serrated and from the Kem Kem but cannot really see the tooth.

I think the ids and locations are probably correct, though it won't actually be Plesiosaurus sp. i don't think. 

For example see :

https://www.academia.edu/3509227/A_NEW_SPECIMEN_OF_THE_ELASMOSAURID_PLESIOSAUR_ZARAFASAURA_OCEANIS_FROM_THE_UPPER_CRETACEOUS_MAASTRICHTIAN_OF_MOROCCO

Ant the Kem Kem specimen is probably repaired with some of the matrix glued on to hide the join but close ups would help to confirm this. Or not. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

33 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I think the ids and locations are probably correct, though it won't actually be Plesiosaurus sp. i don't think. 

For example see :

https://www.academia.edu/3509227/A_NEW_SPECIMEN_OF_THE_ELASMOSAURID_PLESIOSAUR_ZARAFASAURA_OCEANIS_FROM_THE_UPPER_CRETACEOUS_MAASTRICHTIAN_OF_MOROCCO

Ant the Kem Kem specimen is probably repaired with some of the matrix glued on to hide the join but close ups would help to confirm this. Or not. 

Great article, thanks!  Alot of useful information with pictures that help top confirm what google images could not.  

The whole specimen is less than 2 inches

... here are a couple close ups, camera is from a insignia tablet, so its not great, maybe 2 M pixels.

IMG_20180220_151644.jpg

IMG_20180220_151703.jpg

Thanks, I think it's a Spinosaurid can you take more pictures like the bottom one from more sides. The matrix looks like it's been glued possibly like Tidgys Dad said to hide a repair or damage which is typical from that region.

+1 on Spinosaurid, the colour and the sandstone definetely corresponds, as for the right tooth, location, size and colour also corresponds. Just an idea, not much of a expert like the others.

Welcome to the forums! 

Thomas

It has the shape of spinosauridae tooth but to me the matrix looks off for the kem kem beds I could be wrong and it could just be lightning. Is there anyway you can find out the information from the seller you bought it from maybe?

44 minutes ago, Mitchell88 said:

Hard time remembering, ughh,  the spinosaurid might be madagascar..

No it's from Morocco Kem Kem beds.

Archived