Carcharodontosaurus Tooth from Morocco

Kaiju Slayer333

7 minutes ago, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

Wait. Another question. Do you think my tooth belonged to a juvenile as well?

Difficult to say possibly and most likely but it could also be a replacement tooth.  Remember theropod Dinosaurs replace their teeth every 1 to 2 years so they have different size teeth in their jaw.

4 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Not so big, but a juvenile also has its charms! :D

I like baby to juvenile teeth they do have their charm

13 minutes ago, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

Wait. Another question. Do you think my tooth belonged to a juvenile as well?

Here in my country, we measured things in centimeters, but rather, your tooth also belonged to a young specimen or was simply a replacement tooth, but yours looks like a anterior tooth, because it is oval, as our friend Troodon said.

image.png.651c0fa40ef602005bf5bfd5c995df2a.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Again. Judging from the response here, it would be a good idea to put this in the Collections area. I plan to do that in a hour or so or tomorrow. (If your near my time zone)

I saw what you posted in the collection area and let me help clarify a few items.  First the Kem Kem Beds are composed of three formations: Ifezouane, Akrabou and Aoufous and not the Tegana Formation.   The Akrabou is a marine layer so no dinosaurs material is found there.  The Ifezouane is your principle dinosaur layer although material csn also be found in the Aoufous.  Most use the Kem Kem beds as the formation for simplicity sake.   See illustration. The epoch is late cretaceous, Cenomanian age not early.

Screenshot_20180220-170842.jpg.ead315a45abe04dd462a5b59ae22c8d5.jpg

When it comes to identifying the tooth we called it Carcharodontosaurid indet. not Carcharodontosaurus saharicus.  That was done because a number of paleontologist believe there are multiple Carcharodontosaurids in the Kem Kem and we cannot distinguish teeth between species.  For example Sauroniops pachytholus is another Carcharodontosaurid described from the Kem Kem so there are currently two in that assemblage.  Feel free to ask questions   

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

I saw what you posted in the collection area and let me help clarify a few items.  First the Kem Kem Beds are composed of three formations: Ifezouane, Akrabou and Aoufous and not the Tegana Formation.   The Akrabou is a marine layer so no dinosaurs material is found there.  The Ifezouane is your principle dinosaur layer although material csn also be found in the Aoufous.  Most use the Kem Kem beds as the formation for simplicity sake.   See illustration. The epoch is late cretaceous, Cenomanian age not early.

Screenshot_20180220-170842.jpg.ead315a45abe04dd462a5b59ae22c8d5.jpg

When it comes to identifying the tooth we called it Carcharodontosaurid indet. not Carcharodontosaurus saharicus.  That was done because a number of paleontologist believe there are multiple Carcharodontosaurids in the Kem Kem and we cannot distinguish teeth between species.  For example Sauroniops pachytholus is another Carcharodontosaurid described from the Kem Kem so there are currently two in that assemblage.  Feel free to ask questions   

Ok. Well the box that the tooth was in had a label which talked about the tooth. And it told me it was Carcharodontosaurus saharicus 

6 minutes ago, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

Ok. Well the box that the tooth was in had a label which talked about the tooth. And it told me it was Carcharodontosaurus saharicus 

It is always a good idea to verify with other sources. ;) This is even more essential when the provenance is not directly known, as opposed to collecting it yourself. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

8 minutes ago, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

I'm sure it did.  When it comes to dinosaur material especially from Morocco please educate yourself on it and do not trust what you see sold.  Hate to say it but most of what you see is incorrect why you joined this forum to get the right info..

Just now, Troodon said:

I'm sure it did.  When it comes to dinosaur material especially from Morocco please educate yourself on it and do not trust what you see sold.  Hate to say it but most of what you see is incorrect why you joined this forum.

Hold on. Your wording in the final sentence is kinda weird so can you please clarify.

Just now, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

Hold on. Your wording in the final sentence is kinda weird so can you please clarify.

Most dinosaur material you see sold from morroco is improperly identified, simple as that.

Well the box that the tooth was in had a label which talked about the tooth. And it told me it was Carcharodontosaurus saharicus 

Dealers often put a name on teeth that isn’t accurate either from ignorance or to make the tooth more saleable. :) 

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Most dinosaur material you see sold from morroco is improperly identified, simple as that.

Well. I’m far from what you would call a expert. So don’t expect me to know what I’m doing half the time.

3 minutes ago, Dude who wants Dino fossil said:

Well. I’m far from what you would call a expert. So don’t expect me to know what I’m doing half the time.

And hence why you're here (that was the second part of Troodon's statement, but some punctuation was eaten in transit :P ). And also why there is no rush to add to Collections ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

That's fine and lots of folks are like you just learning and that okay.  Our suggestion to everyone through this learning process is do what you did with this tooth post it and get input from those that are more expert than you.   We all are constantly being educated especially with material from the Kem Kem.  We know so little since from this area, new discoveries are constantly changing what we have believed for a long time.  Just a few years ago we had no clues multiple Spinosaurids existed now we think there are at least two.

Always post here before buying, there are some extremely knowledgeable members here regarding teeth generally as well as knowing how some dealers unintentionally or intentionally label items from Morocco. 

I personally feel this is the biggest problem for dealers / sellers is that so much information goes out of date so fast, unless you are on this forum or are specialized in north African paleontology the species and valid data that was available even a year ago is no longer correct. one piece i watched a while back from a well known documentary series never mentioned sigillmasasaurus and sarchosuchus was believed to be in the kem kem beds, another source Princeton field guide has no mention of the potential Sauroniops.

Archived