Going back to my Roots

Darktooth

Back in 2001, I became a member of my local Rock Club, The Syracuse Gem & Mineral Society. From 2001-2010 I was very active in the club. I went to almost every meeting, I organized some field trips, served as Treasurer, gave talks, basically helping out anyway I could. Then in 2010 I had a lot going on in my life and slowly I was less and less involved and it got to the point where I wasn't involved at all.  I have been wanted to get back into it. Last night I decided to go to the monthly meeting. It was really nice to see old friends and everyone asking me how I've been and what have I been up to. Before long it hit me that I have been missing out. I had some really good times with these people. I have learned a lot from them. Last night I had made them a promise that I was coming back for good and that I wanted to be a participating member the way I used to be. The reason I have brought this topic up, is because I want to encourage members of this forum who are not already members of their local club, to do so. There is so much to gain by joining. Most members of such clubs are truly a wealth of knowledge. You might learn about collecting sites near you that you won't find out any other way. Clubs usually can get access to places a regular person can't. Plus you could end up making some really good friends. The list goes on and on. There is everything to gain and nothing to lose. Just some food for thought.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thank the Creator!  Now I won't have to answer all those rock and mineral questions all by myself.

I am a member of the Georgia Mineral Society (GMS).  It is the largest club in the southeast and

on of the largest clubs in the Universe.  I wish more FFer's would join a rock club.

Why isn't my member info showing?  Visit the GMS website at:  gamineral.org.  Nearly a thousand members, at least two and as many as six fieldtrips per month, many auctions for many reasons, one regional show (all ours), and tremendous interest in fossils as well as rocks.  Don't even get me started on the club work room.

I recently rejoined my local club after not being a member for the last 15 years or more. My mother and I used to be members from when I was 7 in 1983 until about 2000 when we quit because they weren't doing much in the way of field trips and such. There were political reasons too but won't go into that. Only 3 or 4 members left from the old days, but they go on more field trips now.

I'm actually the co-president of our local club here. About 110 members strong. Although, I am by far not an expert on rocks and minerals.

One of the things that I like about my club is that they try to cater to many interests. Some members are all about minerals, others like fossils. They hold classes in Lapidary. There is a group of Beaders. Sometimes they teach wirewrapping. Every month they usually have a guest speaker that may talk on one of many "Rock" related topics. They also hold an auction once a year so members can make a little cash on some of their finds. And of course they put on a really good show in July. I will be working it this year and will be putting up 1or 2 Displays. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I'm in the Savannah, GA desert when it comes to 'Rock Clubs' unless you are looking for the touristy types where dancing is involved.  With two young children making time for meetings several hours away on a weekend is usually a non-starter so I am left to commute virtually to the The Palmetto Paleontological Society located in Charleston via FB.  Bout as good as it gets.

And lurk on TFF of course.

visit-the-philippines-tarsier.jpg.3904b535ae439138c1efa5ebac0d6157.jpg

I belong to ESCONI, in Illinois, where I live. I also belong to the Dry Dredgers in Cincinnati, Ohio and also the Fossil Club of Lee County Florida. Unfortunately I have never been to a meeting, though in October or November I went to a Field Trip with ESCONI. I am going to try and go on more trips with them and plan on a few in Cincinnati. The trip to Cincinnati is about an 11 hr round trip, but I do not mind the driving. I will be going to the up coming ESCONI show and the MAPS show- I have not been a MAPS member for some time now, I need to join again.

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts to get involved. I have been a long term member to many different clubs through the years.

Where I live now I have checked on local clubs.  They are over 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours away.  With that said I mat try to see if the are active.

My neighbor use to belong to one in Florida while his kids grew up.  Maybe I can get him interested again and have someone to ride with.

I would love to go on some field trips. Learn more about the local fossils. And of course have access to areas that I may not otherwise.

23 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

I'm in the Savannah, GA desert when it comes to 'Rock Clubs' unless you are looking for the touristy types where dancing is involved.  With two young children making time for meetings several hours away on a weekend is usually a non-starter so I am left to commute virtually to the The Palmetto Paleontological Society located in Charleston via FB.  Bout as good as it gets.

And lurk on TFF of course.

visit-the-philippines-tarsier.jpg.3904b535ae439138c1efa5ebac0d6157.jpg

Hey BBR, try this:

Savannah Lapidary Club – Savannah, Georgia

Meetings held at the Hoskins Research Center at Memorial Medical CenterMonthly Meetings – 2nd Thursday at 6:30 pm.  Website at: https://sites.google.com/site/savannahlapidary/.   Best of luck.

5 minutes ago, goatinformationist said:

Hey BBR, try this:

Savannah Lapidary Club – Savannah, Georgia

Meetings held at the Hoskins Research Center at Memorial Medical CenterMonthly Meetings – 2nd Thursday at 6:30 pm.  Website at: https://sites.google.com/site/savannahlapidary/.   Best of luck.

Yeah .. that site is dead (now on FB) predominantly concerns specifically lapidary ... there 'used' to be a fossil gem/mineral club that met nearby on one of the islands but it looks like they disbanded. Or stopped meeting. 

B

Well I checked out the FB page and it is a very nice page.  Perhaps with your interest in fossils you could be the chair for a new fossil section?  Do it for the children...

1 minute ago, goatinformationist said:

Well I checked out the FB page and it is a very nice page.  Perhaps with your interest in fossils you could be the chair for a new fossil section?  Do it for the children...

Ha, .... my life is about neck deep in the children right now.  They are my little collectors and they examine and are very careful with daddy's fossils when I bring them out for show and tell....

Oh well you do live in a great location for fossiling.  I joined the GMS when my son was I think seven.  He grew up in it and still enjoys rocking/fossiling to this day.  And he graduates from Kennesaw State in eight more weeks.

1 minute ago, goatinformationist said:

Oh well you do live in a great location for fossiling.  I joined the GMS when my son was I think seven.  He grew up in it and still enjoys rocking/fossiling to this day.  And he graduates from Kennesaw State in eight more weeks.

We do .. If you know where to look you can find some great preservation and tranquility all in the same spot.

I can't wait to drag them along with me into a creek or hunting a roadside .... Then we can go on some serious road trips ! It is my dad that gave me the bug, we used to make side trips on our 2 week long family road trips to every rock shop and road-cut we could find.  Sometimes we were lost on the prairie in vast oceans of mosquitoes or knee deep in shale looking for insects.

I never forgot ... the mosquitoes .. haha .. or the fun times. He'll be retired soon ... and then ... the road-trips will begin again.

10-10-09_1014.thumb.jpg.d00b29145d4fdce0c690ebc97ee7fab5.jpg.c2851db20ae62177ea753251fd8fe6ec.jpg

B

Archived