Starfish, Lincoln Creek formation WA

daa906

Hey guys! I haven’t posted in a very very long time but I came across this in my journeys and have never found or seen one before. Any ideas? Found in the Lincoln creek formation of Washington state. It is about 1 1/2”

202EB622-DC03-4302-9A02-A37AD2B26B0C.jpeg

I agree with fossile, it is an echinoid or the impression of one.  The "arms" of the "starfish" are the ambulacra of the echinoid.

Don

I can see what you are talking about, this is the positive side of the fossil. The fossil is 3D rather than an impression. There was a concretion on top of this that was weathered and fell apart. I do see how it looks like a sea urchin though.

The whole cavity including what you see as 'arms' is (or was) an echinoid/sea urchin, it was not a concretion that dissolved out. The body (shell) would have been a biscuit-shaped thing with 5 'petals' on its top surface, called ambulacra. Nice specimen even if it is just an impression/negative/mold.

2-RARE-Oligocene-echinoids-sea-urchins-seeigel-Eupatagus.jpg

Ah, that last picture with the ambulacra indented into the urchin definitely shows that it is indeed an urchin. Thank you! I wish the actual body had stayed intact. It completely disintegrated when I picked it up. It did look like a concretion though. I find many concretions where I found this. Very first sea urchin I have ever found there. Mostly Pulalius vulgaris in that area.