Feb. 21, 2018 Peace River trip

Sacha

Beautiful day to be out and so much nicer without a wet suit. Couple of interesting things today, this find is my favorite.

DSCF1533.thumb.jpg.2b433227681d2b54070268031acee3e8.jpg

!/2 gallon Clorox bottle issued from 1940 to 1944. Pretty good shape for being in the river for so long, but I was in a pretty deep hole and it was pretty far down. The next best is another complete  Abertella dengleri Echinoid. This one has more matrix on it, but still pretty cool. I'll be asking Roger Portell at UF whether he's interested in another example in their collection. (I should have waited until it dried completely before taking the picture)

DSCF1537.thumb.jpg.340a460059fc5691619b0e66b7007fe2.jpg

DSCF1538.thumb.jpg.e6a844deced1a459e0203a2d42814437.jpg

Nice finds John :) I found a Clorox bottle like that a couple years ago that I believe was clear. 

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: OK John,  a couple of Great finds.  I love the Clorox bottle.. found one in Horse creek but it was dated to ONLY 1953..

I was out today also, went in 3 Bridges above your favorite access point..I have never found an Echinoid as complete as the one you found today. It was a great day, sun shining, water was cool, I was digging in an old spot that I thought I had dug out back in 2013, but it paid off bigtime once again...

It is good to see you getting rewards for invested time...  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76: OK John,  a couple of Great finds.  I love the Clorox bottle.. found one in Horse creek but it was dated to ONLY 1953..

I was out today also, went in 3 Bridges above your favorite access point..I have never found an Echinoid as complete as the one you found today. It was a great day, sun shining, water was cool, I was digging in an old spot that I thought I had dug out back in 2013, but it paid off bigtime once again...

I need to head south and visit the FL Jack!!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

29 minutes ago, SailingAlongToo said:

I need to head south and visit the FL Jack!!

I think that we have 20-25 degrees on your location and the river is cool enough to offset the heat and cool the workers.. Hurricane IRMA jumbled everything around, so that old dug out locations are sometimes productive and exciting to visit.

I am hoping that this hot streak continues...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I've just had a reply from Roger Portell, the Invertebrate collections manager at the U of Florida in Gainesville and he would be very pleased to get this  Abertella dengleri Echinoid to go with the first one. I'm glad I'm getting something worthwhile out of that hole.

DSCF1540.thumb.jpg.c393890cf4ca376e939b8fdb14ca6d5f.jpg

19 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

@Shellseeker,  3 bridges or 4 bridges?

3 hours ago, Sacha said:

@Shellseeker,  3 bridges or 4 bridges?

The common sand dollar, Echinarachnius parma, is widespread from intertidal zones to considerable depths in the ocean waters of the Northern Hemisphere.

I wonder if that spot was deep ocean bottom, say 200 feet of salt water...

Islands in the stream, That is what we are
No one in between, How can we be wrong

Hey John, nice finds! Congrats on finding yet another rare echy worthy of donation! I had seen a few that species the Tampa fossil club guys had awhile back and got to druel. One of the guys at the last meeting actually brought in a 4-5" crazy seastar in matrix with most of the arms in place and a fair share of its ossicles that he found from some Oligocene? land site....just never know what you can find out there. Keep digging and good luck in the next hole. 

Thanks for showing us! 

Regards, Chris 

Nice finds, John!

Definitely a bit of a change from dugong ribs and fraglodons. I've got an old Clorox bottle from the first year they started making them in glass for residential use. From what I remember they used to make chlorine for industrial uses and commercial laundries and shipped it around in larger 5-gallon stoneware jugs in the early 1900's. The first residential use pint bottles were generically made and had no markings on them to distinguish them as Clorox bottles. Starting in 1929 the residential business must have taken off as they started buying bottles with the Clorox name in the trademarked diamond embossed in the bottom. They changed bottle styles every couple of years and so it is possible to narrow down the period of found bottles from a page on the company's website. I came across that page while searching the age of the pint bottle I found in an old abandoned (fishing?) camp in a wooded section of Little Inagua Island in the southeastern Bahamas during a coral reef survey of the area. They were with a bunch of other miscellaneous old bottles that I think were being used at one time to store drinking water. They were too far inland to have been tossed there by storms and were definitely grouped into "caches" in various clusters that we found while bushwhacking around the island. Whatever corks or seals were used to keep their contents safe had long since disappeared but I have a recollection of one bottle having a cork that had dried, shrunk, and dropped into the bottle.

From what I remember all of the old Clorox bottles that I've seen have always been in brown glass. It would be interesting if there were clear versions as well as I'm imagining they might be uncommon. Jeff, do you still have the Clorox bottle you are thinking of?

Hoping to get back out to the Peace soon and hoping it is a whole lot warmer that the low 60's when I was out there last. I think Irma has uncovered a larger section of gravel in one of the spots I like to stop and dig. Can't wait to get back to investigate and see if my favorite spot has expanded.

Cheers.

-Ken

P8210007.jpg

On 2/22/2018 at 4:14 PM, Sacha said:

I've just had a reply from Roger Portell, the Invertebrate collections manager at the U of Florida in Gainesville and he would be very pleased to get this  Abertella dengleri Echinoid to go with the first one. I'm glad I'm getting something worthwhile out of that hole.

DSCF1540.thumb.jpg.c393890cf4ca376e939b8fdb14ca6d5f.jpg

I found one even more complete then this yesterday. I’ll take a picture tomorrow, as it’s sitting on my desk at work.

Archived