Mysterious Mammal Fossil

Crazyhen

Take a look of this "complete" skeleton from the famous Hezheng, Gangsu of China.  Any idea what is that? Can you see what is wrong with this fossil?  I also attach photos of a typical fossil excavation site there.

TPON0307.JPG

ESJM1133.JPG

FYVO2943.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The whole vertebral column looks way too long. And the ribs look really, really fake.

• I found this Informative 5

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yes, the ribs look like they come from a wooden "make your own dinosaur" kit. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The spinous processes from the mid-point to the rear look poorly fabricated. And is it just me, or are the feet a bit too disproportionately small for the size of this skeleton?

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The stance is all wrong, fake ribs, and having the matrix still part of the vertebrae makes for a poorly looking sketal mount.

The cervicals are too long.  If they are real bones they are form a camel or some other more long necked beast.  IF they are real.  

Only the skull and legs seem to look somewhat normal. Everything else seems off really.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Hopefully these amazing fossils will get into the right hands, the fossils that are genuine are incredibly well preserved; if only the proper measures are taken will this mount be in its truest, most elegant form. Even with the incorrections this has the potential to be an amazing exhibit.  :dinosmile:

rydysig.JPG

Thanks for all the responses and discussions.  And that's why I showed this fossil for all of you to take a look.  Yes, it's a Machairodus, but only the skull belongs to it, the rest belongs to a ....... horse!  This is a composite fossil.  When the seller first showed me the photo of this fossil, I was baffled at the proportion of the skeleton that it didn't look right but I could not tell what's wrong.  But the fossil is not fake, it's simply a silly composite :faint:

Take a look at the genuine Machairodus from the same seller.

LYNE3933.JPG

18 minutes ago, Kane said:

You knew this and withheld it? I feel a bit used :(

No, Kane.  I didn't know it at first when I showed the photo.  After all these discussions, I questioned the seller and he then revealed to me that it is a composite!  But this is really a good discussion as to how we identify if a fossil is fake.

Easy going. I believe this was not a test. In fact all of us here knew that it could not be 100% authentic, but at least a compound. But the fact is that none of us can guess here, what the compound was made of. So I believe our friend @Crazyhen did not test here, because in this case, only the seller could have withheld this information.

Crazyhen was just curious, by the way, as indeed we all stayed.

I believe this.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

17 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Easy going. I believe this was not a test. In fact all of us here knew that it could not be 100% authentic, but at least a compound. But the fact is that none of us can guess here, what the compound was made of. So I believe our friend @Crazyhen did not test here, because in this case, only the seller could have withheld this information.

Crazyhen was just curious, by the way, as indeed we all stayed.

I believe this.

Thank you, Sequidora-de-Isis.  I was really baffled when I first looked at the fossil, I was thinking something was wrong in my mind but could not tell what's wrong.  It was funny to note that when the seller was challenged after I got all of your insights, he told me that it's a composite, and then showed me the genuine one which I showed above and asked if I am interested :o

12 minutes ago, Crazyhen said:

Thank you, Sequidora-de-Isis.  I was really baffled when I first looked at the fossil, I was thinking something was wrong in my mind but could not tell what's wrong.  It was funny to note that when the seller was challenged after I got all of your insights, he told me that it's a composite, and then showed me the genuine one which I showed above and asked if I am interested :o

The "Archaeoraptor" took from the year of 1999 until the year of 2002 to be definitively proven that it was a fraud, although until then, all that there were mere speculations. And you see, even with current technology, to this day no one knows which animal the legs and feet of the Archaeoraptor have been taken from.

image.png.707e41443ae1845ebd98a9a333ea02bd.png

So, I have big idea how challenging a compound fossil can be. In fact, in almost all cases, only the person who falsified it can retain the information of what they used to make the compound. :wacko:

03.PNG

4 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

Since when do horses have vertebrae in their tail?

Since about the Eocene... but certainly not this many.  

1 hour ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

The "Archaeoraptor" took from the year of 1999 until the year of 2002 to be definitively proven that it was a fraud, although until then, all that there were mere speculations. And you see, even with current technology, to this day no one knows which animal the legs and feet of the Archaeoraptor have been taken from.

image.png.707e41443ae1845ebd98a9a333ea02bd.png

So, I have big idea how challenging a compound fossil can be. In fact, in almost all cases, only the person who falsified it can retain the information of what they used to make the compound. :wacko:

I have met several people here in Morocco who believe all fossils are faked, that I have manufactured my entire collection and that I and others have 'planted' all the fossils that are found in Morocco and around the world. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

18 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I have met several people here in Morocco who believe all fossils are faked, that I have manufactured my entire collection and that I and others have 'planted' all the fossils that are found in Morocco and around the world. 

Unfortunately it is not only in your country my great Moroccan friend from miles so far away @Tidgy's Dad... Here in my country they mix Paleontology with Bible ... And the great confusion is formed! :headscratch::o

03.PNG

8 hours ago, jpc said:

Since about the Eocene... but certainly not this many.  

JPC is, of course, entirely correct. What I should have said is since when did a Miocene horse have a tail like that. 

14 hours ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Unfortunately it is not only in your country my great Moroccan friend from miles so far away @Tidgy's Dad... Here in my country they mix Paleontology with Bible ... And the great confusion is formed! :headscratch::o

The United States is pestered by these same people.  Results are more serious than simple confusion...