Most Ankylosaurs Fossilize Belly Up?

Troodon

I know this topic has been at the nagging at you for years :P but those scientists have FINALLY got an answer for us and its interesting.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/most-ankylosaurs-were-fossilized-belly-now-scientists-think-they-know-why

Yes there is a paper if you're interested in finding out more

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031018217312452

Screenshot_20180222-054954.thumb.jpg.eeeeb7d9206dc36f53aec2b7bcefbfe9.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

Yes, I've had many sleepless nights worrying about this. 

Very interesting and i love the idea of rows of dead armadillos rotting in the corner of a bonkers scientist's yard! :D

And the neighbours not risking complaining to a crazy man who slaughters armadillos. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Good read;  Have you heard about the Nodoosaur that was found in Alberta?  It is extremely well-preserved, showing the sheaths and scales..  Flooded river swept the specimen into open seas, I think it had been stuck in a waterhole in a cave, i could be wrong.  I can't seem to find any good databases regarding bloating and position, any suggestions?

Not to mention, the lower oxygen content of the periods, maybe i have missed that part in the document?

22 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

After 16 hours of kicking my computer around the apartment I have finally fixed the problems with the stupid thing, I think. 

So I have now seen the image. 

It's great! :)

5 minutes ago, Mitchell88 said:

Good read;  Have you heard about the Nodoosaur that was found in Alberta?  It is extremely well-preserved, showing the sheaths and scales..  Flooded river swept the specimen into open seas, I think it had been stuck in a waterhole in a cave, i could be wrong.  I can't seem to find any good databases regarding bloating and position, any suggestions?

Not to mention, the lower oxygen content of the periods, maybe i have missed that part in the document?

Oh yea its on display at the Royal Tyrrell Museum

DIQuLycWsAAzuHQ.thumb.jpg.b6c1ba813598d3da34b3c053430989da.jpgDT4VSE6VAAA-zNG.jpg.52585a7cd3abc1ce0383a65db9199860.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

10 minutes ago, Mitchell88 said:

Yes, I heard about the Nodosaur. 

No idea regarding your other questions, I'm afraid. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@Mitchell88 Attached find the Borealopelta paper, which like most is pretty technical and focuses on its osteoderms.   The Bloating theory is quite new with Ankylosaurus and was not addressed in that paper.  But I did attach a paper to my first post and its explains the “bloat-and-float” taphonomic model associated with the upside-down preservation of ankylosaurs

https://peerj.com/articles/4066/

• I found this Informative 3

49 minutes ago, Troodon said:

@Mitchell88 Attached find the Borealopelta paper, which like most is pretty technical and focuses on its osteoderms.   The Bloating theory is quite new with Ankylosaurus and was not addressed in that paper.  But I did attach a paper to my first post and its explains the “bloat-and-float” taphonomic model associated with the upside-down preservation of ankylosaurs

https://peerj.com/articles/4066/

Thank you for the link Troodon.  It would appear to shed some light on keratinous variation and variations of the species serie indicating that variations were largely observed within thoracical transition and cervical, possible research leading to particular functions from environmental to reproductive.