Jump to content
Pfossils

Authentication

Recommended Posts

Pfossils

I have recently found quite a few fossils from the Paleozoic era, first period. My question is how do I go about having my fossils authenticated? Thanks whoever takes the time to help, as I am new to this kinda thing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Hello, and a very warm welcome to the Fossil Forum from Morocco! :)

You mean identified? If you found them yourself they should be authentic unless you mean you're not sure if they're fossils ? 

To check you can take them to a museum, look at guide books to the fossils from your area or, best of all, post photos and as much detail of the specimens as you can here, and there will probably be someone who can give you information on your finds. 

If they are Cambrian, then we'd all be delighted to see them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troodon

Try posting them here on the ID section like Tidgy's Dads said with good photos from all angles and a scale.... locality is very important to include.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fruitbat

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!  As Tidgy's Dad and Troodon have already mentioned, if you can post clear, well-focused pictures of your finds, somebody here will likely be able to give you a good start on identifying your fossils.  General information about where they were collected (not asking you to give away your top-secret locale) will also be very helpful.

 

-Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

As Tidgy's Dad, Troodon, and Fruitbat have mentioned (lets keep the chain going), some good focused shots from many different sides of your finds would be of good help to try and get these things IDed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeschWhat

Welcome! I look forward to seeing your finds. :popcorn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpc
22 hours ago, caldigger said:

 

As Tidgy's Dad, Troodon,  Fruitbat and caldigger have said... post some pix here.  See the previous posts for a few guidelines so that we can be helpful.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abyssunder

Polinices rectilabrum is Euspira rectilabrum Conrad 1858 (moon snail), with distribution in the Late Cretaceous (Maastrichtian), so can't be of Lower Paleozoic. In other words, if your gastropod is Lower Paleozoic, it can't be Polinices rectilabrum. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
48 minutes ago, jpc said:

As Tidgy's Dad, Troodon,  Fruitbat and caldigger have said... post some pix here.  See the previous posts for a few guidelines so that we can be helpful.  

 

Somewhere, somebody said something about pictures but I’m not sure who it was or what the instructions were...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
2 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

Polinices rectilabrum is Euspira rectilabrum Conrad 1858 (moon snail), with distribution in the Late Cretaceous (Maastrichtian), so can't be of Lower Paleozoic. In other words, if your gastropod is Lower Paleozoic, it can't be Polinices rectilabrum. :)

 

Am I missing something or are you psychic? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
1 minute ago, Ptychodus04 said:

 

Am I missing something or are you psychic? 

Tags under the page title. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
51 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Tags under the page title. :)

 

“I see” said the blind man. The tags don’t show up when viewing via a cell phone so I thought our good friend @abyssunder was exercising some 6th sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer
13 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

 

“I see” said the blind man. The tags don’t show up when viewing via a cell phone so I thought our good friend @abyssunder was exercising some 6th sense.

Oh yes they do matey, gotta have the right theme/skin. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
42 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Oh yes they do matey, gotta have the right theme/skin. ;) 

 

Bah, I can't be bothered to figure that out. It would ruin my reputation as a troglodyte if I was too tech savvy. :P

 

I think I'm going to go home, put on a kilt and hit something hot and metallic with a hammer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer
17 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

 

Bah, I can't be bothered to figure that out. It would ruin my reputation as a troglodyte if I was too tech savvy. :P

 

I think I'm going to go home, put on a kilt and hit something hot and metallic with a hammer.

Hey trog....

 

12074D65-849D-44C3-BD5C-33358F9A2F71.thumb.jpeg.1612e1d05ebed1a4ce3ef9242f9c5a2b.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger
27 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

 

Bah, I can't be bothered to figure that out. It would ruin my reputation as a troglodyte if I was too tech savvy. :P

 

I think I'm going to go home, put on a kilt and hit something hot and metallic with a hammer.

I hope you are wearing a leather kilt for the forge work!  Nothing like a large man running about in a burning skirt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
18 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Hey trog....

 

12074D65-849D-44C3-BD5C-33358F9A2F71.thumb.jpeg.1612e1d05ebed1a4ce3ef9242f9c5a2b.jpeg

Thanks for helping a trog out!!!!

 

7 minutes ago, caldigger said:

I hope you are wearing a leather kilt for the forge work!  Nothing like a large man running about in a burning skirt.

 

Naw, leather is for sissies who don't know how to keep their clothes off the material or out of the forge! I wear my heavy cotton utility kilt for rough and tumble stuff like this. It has a few burn holes but those are actually from campfires.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad
45 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

 

Bah, I can't be bothered to figure that out. It would ruin my reputation as a troglodyte if I was too tech savvy. :P

 

I think I'm going to go home, put on a kilt and hit something hot and metallic with a hammer.

I don't have a kilt, but :

Scotch.JPG.a3b8d802216ea82408da6f74856af9b0.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abyssunder
1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

 

The tags don’t show up when viewing via a cell phone so I thought our good friend @abyssunder was exercising some 6th sense.

 

That's good, Kris! :rofl: :zen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

I have two utility kilts...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeschWhat

Hmm...I'm not seeing tags. With the exception of Adam's fancy tam and John's screenshot, I'm not seeing photos either. Am I losing it up here Never mind...don't answer that:headscratch:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abyssunder
28 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Hmm...I'm not seeing tags. With the exception of Adam's fancy tam and John's screenshot, I'm not seeing photos either. Am I losing it up here Never mind...don't answer that:headscratch:

Maybe the pictures are transparent.... :headscratch:
I just see now that the location of the OP is Pflugerville Texas. If the specimens were found in that area (e.g.  Pflugerville Formation) that means they can't be older than Cretaceous. My question is, where is the location of the finds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeschWhat

I see the tags now...looks like I was using the "Classic" theme before, so tags didn't show up. That explains a lot :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnBrewer
2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I have two utility kilts...

Me too

 

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I don't have a kilt, but :

Scotch.JPG.a3b8d802216ea82408da6f74856af9b0.JPG

You do have the finest collection of headgear tho Adam!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04
3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

I don't have a kilt, but :

Scotch.JPG.a3b8d802216ea82408da6f74856af9b0.JPG

 

A bonnet like that deserves a matching kilt!!!

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I have two utility kilts...

Awesome. I have 3 kilts currently and plan to buy a 4th this year. My boys were giving me grief tonight about needing new ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×