Bone identification please

Chomper

Could it be a sponge or a coral? I will leave this one to the experts.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

It is a piece of chert or flint which does have bits of fossil impressions in it. 

Possibly sponge impressions, yes. 

Image result for sponge in chert

Like this, but often the sponge body erodes away leaving just a mold.  

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Maybe imprints left in a pebble by gastropods.

146AmmoniteandCast.jpg.a5c6f079a0359dc70b0bfa4bcebb95b5.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Gastropods are what I am seeing as well. :) 

1web.jpg.f78e668fbd200809586a3a3c86a20cde.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm in agreement with the others. I also see a kind of Hormotoma sp like gastropod imprint there. Good quality images, by the way! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

7 minutes ago, Chomper said:

I licked it and my tongue stuck. The lick test says bone.

Sorry, but this is not a reliable test. Many rocks will also stick, depends on the porosity of the rock.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

42 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Encrusting fenestrate bryozoan Photo 7, just above inches.

That would make it a long distance roller though. 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I'm in agreement with the others. I also see a kind of Hormotoma sp like gastropod imprint there. Good quality images, by the way! :) 

Thanks!

53 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Encrusting fenestrate bryozoan Photo 7, just above inches.

correct

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Just to fill anyone not familiar with the situation in a bit.

The spot is in an area where deposits are of Neogene age and Fenestrates went extinct in the early Triassic I think.

It almost had to have rolled in the current of the Potomac River from some upstream source.   

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Just to fill anyone not familiar with the situation in a bit.

The spot is in an area where deposits are of Neogene age and Fenestrates went extinct in the early Triassic I think.

It almost had to have rolled in the current of the Potomac River from some upstream source.   

Was the glacier transported material ruled out?

Thomas Mann

My Library

5 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Was the glacier transported material ruled out?

I've heard of glacial deposits a bit north of  Washington, D.C., but Virginia ? I sort of doubt.

I don’t think it was a fenestrate bryozoan. Probably an encrusting bryozoan on a gastropod that left an impression.

59 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I don’t think it was a fenestrate bryozoan. Probably an encrusting bryozoan on a gastropod that left an impression.

Agreed. 

I think the scale being in 1/8 inch when we're used to millimeters fooled us.

12 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

It sticks, really? Chert does not stick. It is possible that it is a coprolite. It could have come to rest on the sea floor (hence the gastropod imprints), and those boring clams do seem to like the calcium phosphate.

@Carl

I suppose it could be a coprolite but the stick-test is not absolute - just highly suggestive. It could just as easily be a weathered pebble with invertebrate molds and/or burrows.

14 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

It sticks, really? Chert does not stick. It is possible that it is a coprolite. It could have come to rest on the sea floor (hence the gastropod imprints), and those boring clams do seem to like the calcium phosphate.

@Carl

I think my tongue touched this about nine time, please tell me its not a turd.  

38 minutes ago, Chomper said:

I think my tongue touched this about nine time, please tell me its not a turd.  

:rofl: Like Carl said, the lick test is not definitive. Not all coprolite/bone sticks. Of course I don't usually go around licking random rocks - just those I think might be coprolite or bone.  So I haven't actually encountered a rock that sticks that has not been one of the two. Here is a recent beauty I picked up at the Tucson Gem Show. It was found in South Carolina. It does not have any cool impressions, but it is riddled with clam borings. The only reason I know for sure mine is a coprolite is the button-like sphincter mark on the end. And yes, it does have good stickage as well. As you can see yours is similar. I am an optimist, so I would label yours as a "possible" coprolite.

Sphicter-small.jpg

1 hour ago, GeschWhat said:

:rofl: Like Carl said, the lick test is not definitive. Not all coprolite/bone sticks. Of course I don't usually go around licking random rocks - just those I think might be coprolite or bone.  So I haven't actually encountered a rock that sticks that has not been one of the two. Here is a recent beauty I picked up at the Tucson Gem Show. It was found in South Carolina. It does not have any cool impressions, but it is riddled with clam borings. The only reason I know for sure mine is a coprolite is the button-like sphincter mark on the end. And yes, it does have good stickage as well. As you can see yours is similar. I am an optimist, so I would label yours as a "possible" coprolite.

Sphicter-small.jpg

Aw man, I think coprolite might be the answer. Lesson learned, do not lick. 

Archived