Ordovician Trilobite

DatFossilBoy

2 hours ago, DatFossilBoy said:

He has 100% positive feedback.

Sounds like 100% of people were fooled. The seller might not even know.

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I agree. It really is not real and seems to be completely sculpted. Unfortunately the trilobite blind Ampyx is one of the rarest, and for this reason, is also one of the most falsified. It is usually easier to win the lottery than to get a species like this that is 100% complete and well preserved. For comparison here is one that is real, although it has been restored in some points:

image.png.7d270a74e81472c6f883c36e9e6b27b7.png

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

2 minutes ago, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

I agree. It really is not real and seems to be completely sculpted. Unfortunately the trilobite blind Ampyx is one of the rarest, and for this reason, is also one of the most falsified. It is usually easier to win the lottery than to get a species like this that is 100% complete and well preserved. For comparison here is one that is real, although it has been restored in some points:

Like mine the body seems to be real but the spines are mostly added. With this species the spine at the front should attach to the glabella and not to the anterior margin. really, really hard to find complete real ones

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Like mine the body seems to be real but the spines are mostly added. With this species the spine at the front should attach to the glabella and not to the anterior margin. really, really hard to find complete real ones

It is true. A complicated species. It really is easier to win the lottery!

:hearty-laugh:

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
On 22-2-2018 at 10:36 PM, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

Actually I kinda know this piece - it was mine before :-) The color is the original color an Ampyx should have, though some pieces loose the orange in the layer due to erosion. You could come up with a pale brownish (mokka) one and be completely real.

I've been searching for Ampyx a couple of time before myself in Morocco, and have seen quite a bunch of others. It's hard to find a % real complete one in the field. They are very very thin trilobites, nearly all of them are just 2mm thick. Aside of that, the matrix they are found in, mostly consists of shale (very breakable) and the few layers they are found in, more often then not peels off from the matrix. If you find a few, chance is big that you just chipped of (one of) the spine(s) hitting, grabbing, turning it around. 

For the most preppers in Morocco, it's an easy thing to fix. You don't need that much skill to engrave/carve another line in stead. To finish the work done, they mostly use a coating so it doesn't contrast too much with the trilobite.

My senses indicate the trilobite from the original post was somewhere real - but very incomplete and they did their best to have something 'sell able' at the end. 

• I found this Informative 1

Occasionally there are some specimens with real partial spines, but most Ampyx spines from Morocco are fabricated.  

Thanks to the amazing silicified trilobites of Harry Whittington, we can see the spine morphology of Ampyx virginiensis.

figures from:

Whittington, H.B. (1959)
Silicified Middle Ordovician Trilobites: Remopleurididae, Trinucleidae, Raphiophoridae, Endymioniidae. 
Harvard College, Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, 121(8):371-496   LINK

IMG.thumb.jpg.a0d4e48d72a50690c9b7c1265f8406a6.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

7 hours ago, Fitch1979 said:

The partial pieces on that plate 29 seem broken to me? Or am I wrong?

No, not broken, they are separate elements.  Hydrochloric acid was used to digest the matrix.  Result: the librigenae are 'liberated' from the fixigenae.  

image.png.33b39906a5c228744ed5af0f1b77bd6b.pngSorry, I wasn't too specific before .. these weren't cleared by the acid I think? Broken?

Just now, Fitch1979 said:

image.png.33b39906a5c228744ed5af0f1b77bd6b.png

Sorry, I wasn't too specific before .. these weren't cleared by the acid I think? Broken?

Yes, this one is broken, compare with figs. 5-8,11