Ordovician Trilobite

DatFossilBoy

Hello,

I saw this trilobite on a french auction site.

It is sold as restaured but I don't know which parts are restored and which ones are not.

Also looks kind of filled and flat, normally these species have details and are not that orange.

Can somebody tell me more? Does it look authentic to you?

Regards, Thomas

IMG_1814.PNG

Looks completely carved to me to be honest. It seems to lack any detail one would expect from a real trilobite.

• I found this Informative 4

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Hm. This one seems fairly fishy to me. Did the seller indicate how much restoration was done? There are elements to this that look carved, such as the genal spines, while the sides of the pleura look shaved/bevelled. The two notches on the right side of the cephalon don't look promising. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

Hm. This one seems fairly fishy to me. Did the seller indicate how much restoration was done? There are elements to this that look carved, such as the genal spines, while the sides of the pleura look shaved/bevelled. The two notches on the right side of the cephalon don't look promising. 

The seller said that restoration has been made on different parts of the trilobite.

He also issues certificats of authenticity and claims he specializes in paleontology...

He has 100% positive feedback.

Any thoughts?

Regards

I have to agree with the others in that it does look like a carving. Another tip-off is the lack of proper symmetry along the axis.

Try not to be persuaded by anyone who offers a Certificate of Authenticity; anyone can print one of those off, and they don't really mean anything at all, sadly.

• I found this Informative 3

Yes, does really look to be carved to me too. Plenty more trilobites in the sea as they say . I am glad you posted here first before buying . 

12 minutes ago, Kane said:

I have to agree with the others in that it does look like a carving. Another tip-off is the lack of proper symmetry along the axis.

Try not to be persuaded by anyone who offers a Certificate of Authenticity; anyone can print one of those off, and they don't really mean anything at all, sadly.

Just to indicate,If It is fake and the seller did not say it was, he can get fined ( by the way all unsatisfied buyers get their money back)

Thank you for giving advice, will not consider purchasing it anymore... a pity because real ones are quite rare.

Best Regards,Thomas 

3 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Just to indicate,It is from [seller's name redacted], I am sure he is quite known on the forums.

Thank you for giving advice, will not consider purchasing it anymore... a pity because real ones are quite rare.

Best Regards,Thomas 

Well there are a lot of fakes out there, but it's not always easy to recognise them, even I was a victim of a fake. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Sorry, but I had to remove the seller's name from your post. We are not permitted to name sellers here in order to avoid any legal problems regarding libel and defamation. ;) 

But, yes, I think the consensus here is that you should let this one pass and wait for a genuine one to come along. :) They do crop up on occasion, as they are somewhat popular, so you may not have to wait too long. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Yes they maybe rare but if you bide your time a better quality specimen will turn up for sale . :dinothumb:

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

Sorry, but I had to remove the seller's name from your post. We are not permitted to name sellers here in order to avoid any legal problems regarding libel and defamation. ;) 

But, yes, I think the consensus here is that you should let this one pass and wait for a genuine one to come along. :) They do crop up on occasion, as they are somewhat popular, so you may not have to wait too long. 

Thanks guys, Sorry for the mistake(New edited message now)

Regards

Just now, DatFossilBoy said:

Thanks guys, Sorry for the mistake(New edited message now)

Regards

Not a problem. I already had fixed it by simply removing the seller's name. :) 

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Not a problem. I already had fixed it by simply removing the seller's name. :) 

Thanks.

Just another thing, isn't it a sign it's authentic if the guy sais it is,can get fined and removed from the site if its not real and accepts returns and repays 100% of money of unsatisfied buyers? 

I don't know...

Just now, DatFossilBoy said:

Thanks.

Just another thing, isn't it a sign it's authentic if the guy sais it is,can get fined and removed from the site if its not real and accepts returns and repays 100% of money of unsatisfied buyers? 

I don't know...

I don't know the terms of service from the particular auction site you are looking at, but from the ones I do know about the sites act as "distributors" of content with limited liability. In other words, the auction site is not responsible for the authenticity of the items, the accuracy of the description etc., but will intercede if there is a dispute. There are any number of less than reputable sellers on some of these sites that will intentionally sell fake fossils, just as there are sellers who unintentionally sell fake fossils as they may not know much about them.

Sadly, there is not much that can be done about the number of fakes out there. Even if there was some kind of purge of inauthentic wares, there are ever more sellers willing to step in and try again. All we can do is educate. :)

I usually take it as a sign that, if someone is trying to convince me that something is authentic, then I am doubly suspicious. It is like talking to someone for the first time and they quickly say, "trust me" or "I won't lie to you." Stuff that we would take as given rarely needs to be stated so quickly and with such over-eager conviction. Or, as the line from Macbeth runs, "methinks the lady doth protest too much." :D 

Here is an Ampyx from my collection. 

The body is mostly real, but the spines are faked, a better fake, but still a fake.

Ampyx1.thumb.jpg.5e187834b8b7769d3e3aba816d86c499.jpg

The orange colour is typical of the limonite dusting preservation many Cambrian and Ordovician trilobites from Morocco do have. 

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

28 minutes ago, Kane said:

I don't know the terms of service from the particular auction site you are looking at, but from the ones I do know about the sites act as "distributors" of content with limited liability. In other words, the auction site is not responsible for the authenticity of the items, the accuracy of the description etc., but will intercede if there is a dispute. There are any number of less than reputable sellers on some of these sites that will intentionally sell fake fossils, just as there are sellers who unintentionally sell fake fossils as they may not know much about them.

Sadly, there is not much that can be done about the number of fakes out there. Even if there was some kind of purge of inauthentic wares, there are ever more sellers willing to step in and try again. All we can do is educate. :)

I usually take it as a sign that, if someone is trying to convince me that something is authentic, then I am doubly suspicious. It is like talking to someone for the first time and they quickly say, "trust me" or "I won't lie to you." Stuff that we would take as given rarely needs to be stated so quickly and with such over-eager conviction. Or, as the line from Macbeth runs, "methinks the lady doth protest too much." :D 

Hahaha:D.

Okay I will follow your advice.Thanks alot for saving my money, I was really going to try it.

I hope I will get luckier next time...

Thanks everyone for time,effort and advice,It really helped me.

Best Regards,

Thomas

P.S: Do you doubt the authenticity of my Ordovician trilobite(posted in members intro)?

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

P.S: Do you doubt the authenticity of my Ordovician trilobite(posted in members intro)?

The Asaphus raniceps? No, apart from looking like it has been around the block a few times, and weathered a few seasons, I think it is the real deal. :) I actually saw that listing, and have perused that seller's other offerings. 

9 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

No. It is real. It's fairly beat up, missing shell material, but no one would bother faking that. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

9 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Hahaha:D.

Okay I will follow your advice.Thanks alot for saving my money, I was really going to try it.

I hope I will get luckier next time...

Thanks everyone for time,effort and advice,It really helped me.

Best Regards,

Thomas

That one's real. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

30 minutes ago, Kane said:

The Asaphus raniceps? No, apart from looking like it has been around the block a few times, and weathered a few seasons, I think it is the real deal. :) I actually saw that listing, and have perused that seller's other offerings. 

29 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

That one's real. :)

Okay Thanks.

Now I just need the back of it to get prepped and it would look amazing. Literally bought it for the price of a supermarket sandwich :) 

Regards.

I have read before, that, it is more difficult to fake the eyes as they have fine details; and the ribbed lines on the bodies, tend to be difficult to reproduce as  intricately formed in nature.  Also mismatching color being a possible clue.

:Edit:    Also i have heard that restoration and modeling materials have noticeable pourous identifying textures.

Edited by Mitchell88
additional comments

looks fake to me also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks