HoppeHunting

26 minutes ago, Kimi64 said:

Great finds & a great story. The part that I can't get over is the crayfish. Even the worst of the Maryland invasive crayfish species don't usually get past 4.5-5 inches in length, so if it really was the length of your hand?? Anything else you can share arout finding that critter?

They taste good steamed!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

2 hours ago, Kimi64 said:

The part that I can't get over is the crayfish. Even the worst of the Maryland invasive crayfish species don't usually get past 4.5-5 inches in length, so if it really was the length of your hand?? Anything else you can share arout finding that critter?

It may not have been quite the length of my hand. I kind of wish I had taken a photo of a side by side comparison with something for scale. 4.5 or 5 sounds about right, but I really do think it was bigger than that. My guess? 7 inches. Its size was the reason I thought it was a lobster. I did take about a 30 second video of it crawling in the surf. If you’d like, I could PM the video to you. I too would like to know more about the lil guy. The only other things I can share is that I found it in the “flats”, about an inch of water a few hundred feet from any water that would even submerge your feet. Hope this helps!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

3 hours ago, Kimi64 said:

Maryland invasive crayfish species don't usually get past 4.5-5 inches

I’ve seen some native ones reach 6, however it’s usually one sighting every year or so. @HoppeFossilHunting If you put it on Inaturalist they will identify it for you (the neural net could even pick it up, cool bit of tech).

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Yes, I would love to see what Inaturalist thinks of that specimen. There are invasive crayfish in Maryland, so the more data the better. 

36 minutes ago, TonyC said:

So when at this area are you simply looking or sifting?

Good question. When I first started fossil hunting, I was mostly sifting. You can get some great finds this way, don't get me wrong, but I've since found surface collecting to be better. It allows you to cover more ground, even if you're not searching quite as thoroughly. I still do a bit of sifting at Brownie's, but the vast majority of my time spent there is beach combing. When it comes to sifting vs. combing, I say to each his own. People find great stuff with both methods. 

And of course you have to take into account the location. Some sites are much better for sifting than surface collecting, and some are vice versa. It's really just trial and error. Hoppe hunting!

• I found this Informative 2

~Hoppe hunting!~

On 2/23/2018 at 10:22 PM, cowsharks said:

I think the tooth you are referring to as a croc tooth is actually the crown to a dolphin tooth.  How big is it? 

I am inclined to agree with Darryl on this tooth. Can you post a picture of the root end straight on? That should settle the ID.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

• 3 weeks later...

@WhodamanHD @Kimi64 After posting some pictures on iNaturalist and doing some research myself, I believe the crayfish is Orconectes virilis, the Virile Crayfish/Northern Crayfish. It is certainly still up for debate because I don't have any solid evidence, but of the species that live in the Bay area, my critter best fits the pictures and descriptions of this particular one. It is an invasive species, like many in the area, and is among the larger of the known crayfish. What I find strange is that I've seen it mentioned from numerous online sources that finding a crayfish in the brackish/saltwater of the Bay is extremely uncommon. Here's an excerpt from Life in the Chesapeake Bay by Alice Jane Lippson and Robert L. Lippson: "Crayfish are little known along the shores of the Chesapeake and when one is captured it becomes an object of great interest; some people wonder where the lobster came from, and others, while properly identifying the beast, are certain that no crayfish occur naturally in the Bay" Could this be a significant find? It seems possible. What are your takes on the matter?

(Here are a few additional pictures of the lil guy)

IMG_6120.PNG

IMG_6118.PNG

~Hoppe hunting!~

@HoppeHunting that’s what I was guessing, those are the type we get up here (mostly). Can get to that size, probably strayed out of brownies river. 

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

@HoppeHunting that’s what I was guessing, those are the type we get up here (mostly). Can get to that size, probably strayed out of brownies river. 

I thought of that possibility. You're probably right, but it just surprised me how far he was from the bridge and river. He was all the way in the cove. Made quite the journey I guess.

~Hoppe hunting!~

A crayfish out of freshwater seems indeed very uncommon - only a very small amount of them are known for being able to live in brackish water.

Therefore, I would lean toward the theory of being strayed out of the river...

• I found this Informative 1