DevonianDigger

14 hours ago, DevonianDigger said:

Lol, I won't complain! I have just about run out of "entry-level" bugs to collect. I think I bought one of every bug that I could get my hands on for less than 50$. My new prize I'm after is a Lonchodomas rostratus. Look it up if you're not familiar, there's one for sale on ...um... the auction site that will not be named. But they want $1200 for it. Too rich for my blood. Maybe after I make tenure, lol!

Well, if you're willing to settle for something very similar, Ampyx sp. tend to show up on that auction site from time to time. 

31 species is not too shabby! But you'll have to double down your efforts to top my close to 50. :P All kidding aside, a pretty solid collection o' bugs you got there!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Well, if you're willing to settle for something very similar, Ampyx sp. tend to show up on that auction site from time to time. 

31 species is not too shabby! But you'll have to double down your efforts to top my close to 50. :P All kidding aside, a pretty solid collection o' bugs you got there!

Oooooooh! Looks like I got you on one for a change. Ampyx is the former classification of the Lonchodomas. Score one for Jay, lol! For the record, now that I've picked up the new Geological Enterprises bulletin, I will be tripling down! Now it's a race, lol! (Although, I have a lot of portions of bugs rather than complete ones. You might have me on the complete ones for a while. The price goes up exponentially the more complete they are. Hence my Declivolithus, I couldn't afford a complete one yet.)

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

1 minute ago, DevonianDigger said:

Oooooooh! Looks like I got you on one for a change. Ampyx is the former classification of the Lonchodomas. Score one for Jay, lol! For the record, now that I've picked up the new Geological Enterprises bulletin, I will be tripling down! Now it's a race, lol! (Although, I have a lot of portions of bugs rather than complete ones. You might have me on the complete ones for a while. The price goes up exponentially the more complete they are. Hence my Declivolithus, I couldn't afford a complete one yet.)

I concede that this round goes to you for my anachronistic naming! :P Definitely full ones come at a huge premium, and my Declivolithus is also incomplete. If you can afford it, the Russian asaphids are really quite lovely!

1 minute ago, Kane said:

I concede that this round goes to you for my anachronistic naming! :P Definitely full ones come at a huge premium, and my Declivolithus is also incomplete. If you can afford it, the Russian asaphids are really quite lovely!

I've noticed that all the Russian ones tend to be gorgeous. The matrix comes off nicely leaving a super attractive finish. Plus, you've got to love that coloration they have. I think I am going to just go down the GE listing and just start grabbing them in the order they are listed, lol. One or two a paycheck. I'll have you beat in no time, lol!!!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

12 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

I've noticed that all the Russian ones tend to be gorgeous. The matrix comes off nicely leaving a super attractive finish. Plus, you've got to love that coloration they have. I think I am going to just go down the GE listing and just start grabbing them in the order they are listed, lol. One or two a paycheck. I'll have you beat in no time, lol!!!

LOL! I'm steadily trying to fill in the family tree. I have A. kowalewskii and have both A. punctatus and A. cornutus coming in the mail. I did order some St Petersburg matrix to try my hand at prepping these bad boys (also in the mail). The colour is definitely amazing, and reminds me of the Isotelus pieces I pull out from Brechin. In terms of the matrix I have coming, I think there's a nice bug in here just waiting for my tools to free him:

asapahusexpansus.jpeg

1 minute ago, Kane said:

LOL! I'm steadily trying to fill in the family tree. I have A. kowalewskii and have both A. punctatus and A. cornutus coming in the mail. I did order some St Petersburg matrix to try my hand at prepping these bad boys (also in the mail). The colour is definitely amazing, and reminds me of the Isotelus pieces I pull out from Brechin. In terms of the matrix I have coming, I think there's a nice one bug in here just waiting for my tools to free him:

asapahusexpansus.jpeg

How do you prep that material? I've never actually worked it before myself. Better yet, hook a brother up with your source for the St. Pete's material, I'll order some myself and we can compare methods!

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA

I've contacted the seller to put up more matrix for sale since this is far more fun than getting a complete bug! No response yet... But if I hear back, I'll send you a PM with a link.

It looks to be limestone, and I'm not yet sure of its hardness. My plan was to apply the air scribe to pop off the bigger chunks, and then switch to the air eraser, and finally using a pin vise under the microscope (yeah, I went a little nuts buying prep tools :P ). Once I do get it, I'll probably stage another series of posts of the process here.

@Kane, it looks like it would be fairly easy to work. What type of air eraser are you using now? Did you get a good deal on the matrix at least? I'm looking for some raw materials to work. I think this season I am going to be very reserved in what I take away from PD. I think unless it's an obvious complete bug I'm leaving it behind. (Sparing the cephalopods, as you know I adore them.) I started boxing up my raw matrix from PD that's sitting in my workshop, I'm about 8 boxes in and have barely made a dent! I was going to post some for trade, but I didn't want to squash your post.

Jay A. Wollin

Hamburg, New York, USA