Trilobite trouble

Mitchell88

Shall we discuss this Trilobite?  

I am completely out of luck on IDing it, as there are too many of this type of insect that are so similar, i had a possible match after some research, and judged it to be likely from around 500 million years ago, lost the comparison somewhere though..

My guess is that it is a common specimen.

IMG_20180222_193046.jpg

IMG_20180222_193106.jpg

IMG_20180222_193122.jpg

It's definitely Devonian from Morocco.

It's a phacopid and i think it's Gerastos sp, but I get these Phacopids muddled up sometimes. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

13 hours ago, Mitchell88 said:

Shall we discuss this Trilobite?  

I am completely out of luck on IDing it, as there are too many of this type of insect that are so similar, i had a possible match after some research, and judged it to be likely from around 500 million years ago, lost the comparison somewhere though..

My guess is that it is a common specimen.

Although we colloquially call them "bugs" , they are not insects. They are arthropods, whose closest living relative is the Horseshoe crab. ;)

+ 1 for Gerastos tuberculatus marocensis.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

19 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It's definitely Devonian from Morocco.

It's a phacopid and i think it's Gerastos sp, but I get these Phacopids muddled up sometimes. 

Agreed, but Gerastos is not a phacopid. It is a member of the Family Proetidae, in the Order Proetida, and should be labelled as a proetid. 

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

7 minutes ago, Douvilleiceras said:

Agreed, but Gerastos is not a phacopid. It is a member of the Family Proetidae, in the Order Proetida, and should be labelled as a proetid. 

Ooooooooopppppppppsssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!:doh!:

More muddled than I thought! 

Thank you. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Wow, trilobites just got really complicated!:trilowalk:

looking through some google images, I am no expert as of right now, but if it is Gerastos Sp.  Then my specimen would seem to be a pretty young one, for comparison, i would say it is slightly smaller than the diameter of a UD dime.  ; also, he is lacking the armoured collar-like plate that i see in most images, not to mention smaller eyes.  hm..

Well, i am officially lost as my current state regarding trilobites and likely other insectae and/or Arthropod species!  

Well, at least i can say that i have the oldest rock in town!  LOL.

500 million years, its just amazing to me, like a legend artifact.

4 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Ooooooooopppppppppsssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!:doh!:

More muddled than I thought! 

Thank you. :)

The Moroccan sun will do that to you. 

Just now, caldigger said:

The Moroccan sun will do that to you. 

Indeed!

Brain fried to a frazzle. :headscratch:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

Devonian is not as old as 500 m.y., either - it's between about 420 and 360my, and I believe the Moroccan trilos are in the Middle Devonian, somewhere in the middle of that range.

Dont want to seem a pain or picky or anything but

marocensis and not marcoensis

as morocco = maroc in french language.

13 hours ago, Mitchell88 said:

Wow, trilobites just got really complicated!:trilowalk:

looking through some google images, I am no expert as of right now, but if it is Gerastos Sp.  Then my specimen would seem to be a pretty young one, for comparison, i would say it is slightly smaller than the diameter of a UD dime.  ; also, he is lacking the armoured collar-like plate that i see in most images, not to mention smaller eyes.  hm..

They didn't grow that large, and this one seems fairly developed into the holaspid stage. But if you wanted a great online resource to learn more about trilobites, Sam Gon III runs an excellently informative site here: http://trilobites.info/

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

23 hours ago, Mitchell88 said:

Well, i am officially lost as my current state regarding trilobites and likely other insectae and/or Arthropod species!  

Well, at least i can say that i have the oldest rock in town!  LOL.

500 million years, its just amazing to me, like a legend artifact.

I can relate, unfortunately sometimes only years of experience will help you to ID a fossil. Only so much reference can be used, although I hope you find your resolution soon! :dinosmile::dinosmile::dinosmile:

rydysig.JPG

On 2/22/2018 at 8:32 PM, DevonianDigger said:

Definitely a Proetid, +1 for the Gerastos tuberculatus marocensis. 

Thanks RyanDye,  I am going with DevonianDigger, look most similar, mine should be an infant.  You never know though, species look very similar..

BTW, the Deinnonychus claw is a sculpture, looks pretty real, except for the fact that its kind of shiny, its pretty cool.  One of those real fossils that would likely be many thosands of dollars if not illegal altogether.

Archived