Pretty nasty looking sea biscuit

Sacha

On a trip to the Peace River on November 28, 2012 I found a pretty nasty looking sea biscuit, but it has been the only one of it's type I've found in the Peace in 7 years of digging it so I've always held on to it without thinking about it too much.

DSCF1542.thumb.jpg.7d012243400308d25050cfdd733f3bae.jpg

DSCF1543.thumb.jpg.7060bcd7004a30217f9b95512372a0bd.jpg

Since working with Roger Portell at the U of Florida on the donations of 2 Abertella deneleri sand dollars, I thought maybe I should ask him whether it was interesting and if so, would the museum like it. Here is his response:

Yes, very interested in that specimen as well.  It belongs to the genus Brissopsis and will soon to be named in an upcoming article of the Florida Museum of Natural History Bulletin.  Most likely your specimen would become a paratype.

I'm very pleased that they are interested in it so both echinoids will be on their way to the University Museum this weekend.

• I found this Informative 9

Well done, John!

A paratype! Not too shabby, friend.  :) 

Most splendid! 

Well done.:)

It's a lovely thing too. 

Nice find!  This one needs to go into the Partners In Paleontology section so you can get the recognition you richly deserve!

-Joe

Nice! Who knows what interesting fossils are hiding in our collections? Spectacular that your curiosity on this unusual specimen turned out to be verified by the experts. Though you already have your PaleoPartner award badge, it would be a good idea to add this into the growing topic of donated fossils as Joe suggested above.

Cheers.

-Ken

That is exciting, John. Congratulations. I agree you should add it to the Partners in Paleontology section, as you have before, as yet another example of the valuable cooperation possible between amateur collectors and professional paleontologists. @Auspex will be proud, I'm sure, and deservedly so.

Thanks everyone and I'll start a partner's post now. I'm amused that I've collected from the Peace for this long, hoping and hoping for a vertebrate fossil that Richard Hulbert would value enough to request, while absent-mindedly bagging these invertebrates as an afterthought. Life is a mystery!   

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. It almost looks like the bottom of a turtle. Interesting.

Echinoids run neck and neck with ammonites as my favorite and most sought after/hunted fossils. I haven’t come across any so big as that or of that look anything even remotely like that on though.

Well Done, John!
By your ability to recognize the possible value of 'something different', and contributing an important specimen to science, you do us all proud.

<insert thunderous applause emoji>

• I found this Informative 1
1 hour ago, Auspex said:

Well Done, John!
By your ability to recognize the possible value of 'something different', and contributing an important specimen to science, you do us all proud.

<insert thunderous applause emoji>

Hi Chas! Nice to hear from you!

Doing good.

Wonder if You had turned it in earlier would it have Your name on it?

Three things.  First, good on ya John.  Second, what is paratype?  and third, its super great to see @Auspex on the forum again. Ive missed that guy!!

RB

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Three things.  First, good on ya John.  Second, what is paratype?  and third, its super great to see @Auspex on the forum again. Ive missed that guy!!

RB

Hi Ron!

A paratype is a supporting specimen to the holotype (which is the specimen described to erect a new species).

I've been terribly homesick for the Forum and all my friends here. I hope to be able to hang out more, as I am physically able.:)

• I found this Informative 2
6 minutes ago, Auspex said:

've been terribly homesick for the Forum and all my friends here. I hope to be able to hang out more, as I am physically able.:)

Hey Chas, i know you put up with all my early cra-p, but ive grown to love you man!!!   i dont care that I use the word love, but you have been one of my best friends over the years.  just wish that we could meet and put faces and voices to these posts!!!  So glad to see you here again!!!   

Ron Bushell

2 hours ago, Auspex said:

I've been terribly homesick for the Forum and all my friends here. I hope to be able to hang out more, as I am physically able.:)

You have been missed!

Hope to see more of You!

Tony