Advice needed for a future in Paleontology

indominus rex

Hello, for me currently Paleontology is only a hobby, but I want to have a future in this. So what I am asking for is some advice, what is the best universities in Europe especially in Germany and  how should I best prepare myself to gain acceptance. When I say this I am speaking for all the young enthusiasts that want this to be more than just a hobby, but a life long career. I would like to dedicate my life to this field.

All advice would be appreciated, regards Leander.

• I found this Informative 1

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

In Germany , I would think perhaps the Max Planck institute and Heidelberg University would be the first two that come to mind. I do however live in America so I’m probably no the best for advice here. I’m hoping to go into a career in paleontology (particularly paleoanthropology) as well. Not easy to find. Schools with such niche programs.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Can't recommend any Universities in Europe but I would say if you are looking for a career in Paleontology you should consider working for a museum to start with.

Any job they have to start with.  Get to know the place, the workers, the lab and let them know your aspirations. Sooner or later you will be given advancements and

if you are a serious player access to the lab, specimens and techniques used. You may be asked to go on field work. This will also help you as you apply to the University of your choice. If you love what you do for work then it is not so much work as it is a rewarding time and fun in life. Glad to hear you are considering this career. Good luck.  Other career guys will add more I am sure.