Eastland, TX finds

MSirmon

Stopped at a roadcut just outside Eastland TX and found a few oddities. Any help identifying would be appreciated. The screenshot of the location tag is from an app called ROCKD.

FE81E29D-592E-43C9-B929-A333A1096AC9.png

F052650F-FF59-4942-872F-5BA565CE43E3.jpeg

0EF73D44-16FC-455C-8772-87C03D3E7E81.jpeg

579FBBCA-FB10-48EB-AFB0-DDE65F87FA42.jpeg

258E1CF2-9F76-4389-BE3B-CA20FFFCD46B.jpeg

It's great stopping at roadcuttings! 

Ammonite, gastropod or worm tube, not sure which. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 minute ago, ynot said:

How many rocks are pictured?

3rd picture maybe a crinoid calyx.

Agree with Tidgy's dad on the first picture.

There 3 rocksnpictured. 2 and 4 are different views of the same rock.

I’m just guessing here. I haven’t been hunting out there, but the first one looks like some kind of a cephalopod. I don’t know about the others. I’m not seeing worm tubes, but then again I don’t know that area.

Need to see more pictures from the edges of 1, 2 & 4. Might be able to tell more too once you have a chance to clean up a little.

I do like road cuts. They hold all kinds of possibilities.

Maybe @Uncle Siphuncle Or @BobWillcould educate us a bit.

Last few dirty Straparollus?  Guessing Pennsylvanian, not Jurassic.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

6 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Bingo and you get the cigar....

The first one looks different from the rest. What say?

Yes I am seeing Straparolus too but there are some considered to be subgenera which may extend into the Jurassic, certainly into the Permian like Amphiscapha sp.

The first fossil is just to wron for a good ID.

On 2/23/2018 at 5:11 PM, Uncle Siphuncle said:

I am curious, have you used Rockd and found it to be wrong? I can understand if you’re in a creek and it say Quaternary and you’re finding stuff other than Quaternary, but a road cut isn’t really subject to the transient nature of a waterway, unless gravel was brought in kind of thing.

I just started using it a couple months ago. I’m still learning my formations and what they look like and what is in them and if it is prone to error than I don’t want to rely on it as I often do. I try to use the USGS to cross reference along with the fauna found to verify a formation, but I don’t always know the genus and species that I find.

I’m trying to learn, but there is an aweful lot to learn and it takes considerable effort and time to learn especially when you don’t hang out with other more knowledgeable people who can help teach you.

9 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

I am curious, have you used Rockd and found it to be wrong? I can understand if you’re in a creek and it say Quaternary and you’re finding stuff other than Quaternary, but a road cut isn’t really subject to the transient nature of a waterway, unless gravel was brought in kind of thing.

I just started using it a couple months ago. I’m still learning my formations and what they look like and what is in them and if it is prone to error than I don’t want to rely on it as I often do. I try to use the USGS to cross reference along with the fauna found to verify a formation, but I don’t always know the genus and species that I find.

I’m trying to learn, but there is an aweful lot to learn and it takes considerable effort and time to learn especially when you don’t hang out with other more knowledgeable people who can help teach you.

After you recommended it I downloaded it and have found it to be pretty useful, but the boundaries of the layers are only approximate.  When I dug some trilobites in Nevada recently, it showed they were on land marked as Quaternary alluvium.  The correct Cambrian layer showed starting about a quarter of a mile away.  But overall I’m impressed with it.

Jurassic is very poorly exposed in TX, most prominently at Malone Mountain, far west TX.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."