Pecopterid ID confirmation, please!

Dpaul7

I'm looking for opinions on this one..... I consulted a VERY old volume and found what I believe is a match... ESPECIALLY since the book's diagram was from my immediate area of Johnstown, Pennsylvania USA.  This is from my Wednesday Feb. 21 hunt.   The data on the fossil:

Rt 56 Bypass, Johnstown, Pennsylvania, USA

Pennsylvanian Period (290-330 Million Years Ago)

Fern leaves called Pecopteris grew abundantly in the coal swamps of the Carboniferous Period. These leaves dropped off of a 35 foot fern tree called “Psaronius“, one of the most common Paleozoic types. With its sparse and expansive branches, it resembled the modern day palm tree. It produced as many as 7000 spores on the underside of its leaves. These samples are well preserved in gray coal shale as many Carboniferous leaf fossils. (From A Dictionary of the Fossils of Pennsylvania VOL II:) Pecopteris velutina. Les. Geol. Pa. 1858, p. 866, pll. 12, fig. 3, 3 a; 3.from Johnstown, Cambria Co., Pa., venation not visible under the thick skin; but in a specimen afterwards obtained at Cannelton, Beaver Co., Pa., also with a thick shining skin some of the leaflets show the style of venation.Lesq.—Kittanning coal. XIII. Pecopteris is a very common form genus of leaves. Most Pecopteris leaves and fronds are associated with the marattialean tree fern Psaronius. However, Pecopteris-type foliage also is borne on several filicalean ferns, and at least one seed fern. Pecopteris first appeared in the Devonian period, but flourished in the Carboniferous, especially the Pennsylvanian. Plants bearing these leaves became extinct in the Permian period.

Kingdom: Plantae
Phylum: Pteridophtya (meaning vascular plant with transport system for nutrients and fluids)
Class: Filicopsida (Ferns which reproduce with spores)
Order: Marattiales (primitive ferns)
Family: Marattiaceae
Genus: †Pecopteris
Species: †velutina

Pecopteris velutina.JPG

The texture looks more like Neuropteris to me especially given the size. But i'll let the plant guys chime in and give you a much more educated view.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I agree, more of a Neuropteris look to me. 

5a916c350862d_Pecopterisvelutina.JPG.431a68d07f45e618fd5b202283a18b55.JPG

@fiddlehead  @paleoflor

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree with Neuropteris sp also.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thank you all!!!!  I have the data on the differences between the two... I guess I just got them mixed up!  :blush: