Skin Scale of Leaf?

jimmyblanco1976

This amber came in a lot from Latvia.  I noticed two pieces of something, fairly large in a 1.5cm x 0.5 cm piece of amber.  My pics are a bit out of focus but you can see a pigment pattern of something like skin, scale or perhaps it is a leaf with a brown/pink and black pattern on it.  I think it is the skin or scale of some type of creature.  What do you think?  Can anyone help?

Jimmy

Snapshot_20180223_4.JPG

Snapshot_20180223_5.JPG

SkinScale Amber.jpg

Snapshot_20180223_10.JPG

Interesting, Jimmy. I'm getting more a skin vibe - but I am definitely not an expert. You did a good job with the photos. I know how hard it is to get a good shot. What magnification are you using? You might want to try doing a search on something like tree frogs to see if you can find something to compare it to. I looked briefly, but was only getting toad skin or magnified images showing cell structure. Next time I find a flattened or otherwise dead frog, I'll take a peak under my microscope. :)

I'm checking it out Lori (frog/salamander)!  Finally I have something real to investigate!  

Jimmy

By the way nice fossils you posed of the boulder with burrows or drips in it.  It reminds me of what birch tree seeds look like in clumps all layered on top of eachother.  I guess that means the tree slowly dripped amber over many years on that pattern/formation.  I wish I could have found such big pieces like you have. 

Happy Saturday!

• I found this Informative 1

Those were pretty nice samples, although they were tiny. I was hunting as a volunteer with the Forest Service, so I could not keep them. I usually just photograph the cool stuff. It was kind of a fluke that I found them. I usually don't pay much attention to the crumbly ironstone in the Hell Creek Formation. I just happened to be taking a break from jacketing, and another guy and I started picking at the stone we were sitting on.  We knew metasequoia cones would often weather out of the material, but never really dug around in it. Good luck with your investigation, and please post your findings.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Jimmy,

I think it is just oxidised layer in amber and it is not a inclusion - its a pseudoinclusion that is very very common in ambers type with layers called "sklejka" in polish language.
It means that resin flow was layer by layer and another and another and amber looks like have mane cracks inside. Inclusions are often between layers - insects stuck in one layer and another trapped them.
When i begin my work with ambers about 10 years ago i had huge imagination and also was think about ( sorry for this word ) unreal inclusions ( for example - lizard bones and remnants or Leech ) but with experience and after collecting some great books you can easy recognize a real inclusion from pseudoinclusion.

Keep posting and i will try help as i can.

Artur

• I found this Informative 3