Small Marine Mammal ?

Shellseeker

A hunting friend asked me to ID a tooth he recently found:

I think it is dolphin or porpoise, but not positive,  so I'll resurrect an old TFF thread as background and provide a couple of photos..

Here is the recent find. It is a tad over 1 inch.

Sometimes I mis_identify as gator.  This is not gator based on root termination.

MaybeDolphin1.jpg

MaybeDolphin2.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, ynot said:

I would go with dolphin on this.

Tony,

That is really the question.  Do we have any "dolphin" teeth that look like this one, rounded instead of cone shaped. Here is a photo of dolphin teeth from Cowsharks thread..DolphinTeeth.JPG.fad9af4a6e8228a0c04e814a72266e97.JPG

and here is a photo of Dall's Porpoise jaw

porpoisejawteeth.jpg.978c204dc975f6dc777d32b3f2e8ab61.jpg

Is this a porpoise tooth found on the east coast or a very funny shaped dolphin tooth? One problem with being porpoise is that it just may be too large. Another is that this may be a broken or worn cone shape point made to look round.  I have been searching for pictures of fossil dolphin teeth shaped like this one.   Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I thought Bobby said that porpoise teeth are more spatulate and very rare on the east coast, although most people use the terms interchangeably.

@Boesse

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

11 minutes ago, ynot said:

I thought Bobby said that porpoise teeth are more spatulate and very rare on the east coast, although most people use the terms interchangeably.

@Boesse

I agree Tony. I have actually found one of the spatulate teeth.  They are rare enough that most Florida fossil hunters do not even recognize what they are.

That is what makes this tooth odd.. it is clearly marine mammal, but not pointed and not spatulated.

I do not have the tooth in hand. I will try to get a look at it or another photo that focuses on the "top"

Caldigger may have the correct answer . It is a dolphin tooth that broke the tip off and worn by erosion and time.

On 2/24/2018 at 3:54 PM, ynot said:

@Boesse

Tony,

Dolphin it is... broken tip

IMG_0819l.thumb.JPG.d903d49ea75b66097f22dc12cf974f3d.JPGIMG_0819.thumb.jpg.eff5e1c34848f85a86df640dbd20492e.jpg