my sloth- Thalassocnus

Mahnmut

As my whale family is nearly complete now I went looking for other marine tetrapods.

(and big fish by the way).

I had for some time included Thalassocnus, the unbelievable swimming sloth of Miocene Peru in my to do list.

Really fourlegged tetrapods are quite a lot of work compared with the highly reduced whales, so I was glad when I realized that the Megaterium made by geoworld was more or less my scale when seen as a big Thalassocnus of 3.3 meters.

It finally arrived the day before yesterday, and today I spent some hours making it look more seagoing.

I lengthened the snout, smoothed the skull and jaw. sawed out the intercostal spaces and made the limbones less bulky. The spinal processes are pointing more backwards now. (or at least their edges are)

I am positively surprised how well this cheap model turned out after only few hours of work.

Aloha

J

thalassocnuskl.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks!

I had a further look at some of the geoworld- models. I don´t want to advertise them, but I think I didn´t do them justice.

At least some of them do show specific properties of the depicted animals quite well, they only lack a lot of detail becuse they are selected for stability and mass production.

Cheers

Jan

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley