Is this a trilobite fossil? (assignment)

Furious Fossil

I have a project for school, and I need to identify the fossil in the photo using the internet. I guessed that it was a trilobite, because it is visually similar to the ones I looked at online, and I wanted to make sure. I would also like to know: what are some tips for identifying fossils?

IMG_20180221_134131.jpg

This looks like a trilobite pygidium, specifically from a Pseudogygites latimarginus.

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

This is a trilobite pygidium, Pseudogygites latimarginatus. Edit: Oops, fossildude beat me to it.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 minutes ago, Furious Fossil said:

would also like to know: what are some tips for identifying fossils?

Find the age of the location and look through online resources and ask those who are Knowledgeable on them. Eventually you will get to know how to differentiate fossils. Practice makes perfect. Learn the differences between larger groups so you can get into specifics later. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Thanks for all the responses, as well as the links. I looked at John Brewer's link: 

and I was wondering if the thorax is also partially visible, not only the pygidium. 
---------------
The edges of the trilobite in my original photo are very round and smooth, unlike the diagram with three labels on it in the link above (jagged edges). Does this mean anything when identifying the trilobite?

Thanks,
Furious Fossil

10 minutes ago, Furious Fossil said:

I was wondering if the thorax is also partially visible, not only the pygidium.

The other pieces appear to be of a cephalon. It is likely a molted exoskeleton. The shape that one of the pygidiums is sort of pointing at looks like one of the sutures that splits open in the process.  

1 hour ago, Furious Fossil said:

Thanks for all the responses, as well as the links. I looked at John Brewer's link: 

and I was wondering if the thorax is also partially visible, not only the pygidium. 
---------------
The edges of the trilobite in my original photo are very round and smooth, unlike the diagram with three labels on it in the link above (jagged edges). Does this mean anything when identifying the trilobite?

Thanks,
Furious Fossil

Trilobites are exceptionally diverse, having undergone several changes and branchings in their 291 million years. The edges of the pygidium in your specimen are a perfect match for this species of trilobite. Here is what the full specimen of Pseudogygites latimarginatus would look like whole (image from Ludvigsen, Fossils of Ontario): 

pl.jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Archived