Orthoceras Fossil

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Just now, howard_l said:

If you can get a genus name you will be lucky, I have seen a lot of reference to Orthoceras sp. or Geisonoceras sp. for these Moroccan orthoconic nautiloids Devonian in age. 

Okay.

I'd suggest the next time you visit your favorite site (Beckham's Barn, I would assume) try picking out something which still has some original outer structure on it.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I'd suggest the next time you visit your favorite site (Beckham's Barn, I would assume) try picking out something which still has some original outer structure on it.

I only had enough money for one of the cheaper ones.

10 minutes ago, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

Figured as much. The best thing would be to hitch up with someone to take you on a hunt, eh?

7 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Figured as much. The best thing would be to hitch up with someone to take you on a hunt, eh?

That would be really neat!

1 hour ago, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

That would be really neat!

I'd love to take you along, but unfortunately I'm a bit too far away. Maybe if you ask politely under Fossil Hunting Trips if someone in SC might be willing to take you with them on a hunt?

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I'd love to take you along, but unfortunately I'm a bit too far away. Maybe if you ask politely under Fossil Hunting Trips if someone in SC might be willing to take you with them on a hunt?

Hmm, okay. Sounds cool. A paleontologist right? My mom would only let me go if he or she is a real paleontologist.

Alternatively, you can also look into joining a local rock/fossil club. Clubs generally do go on group trips, hold meetings, schedule guest speakers, and are a wonderful information resource. It can be something you can involve your mom with as it would be in support of education and a passion. There might be some trips (particularly to quarries) you may not be old enough to go on yet, but there may be some other supervised trips.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

45 minutes ago, Kane said:

Alternatively, you can also look into joining a local rock/fossil club. Clubs generally do go on group trips, hold meetings, schedule guest speakers, and are a wonderful information resource. It can be something you can involve your mom with as it would be in support of education and a passion. There might be some trips (particularly to quarries) you may not be old enough to go on yet, but there may be some other supervised trips.

Sounds pretty neat, I will definitely look into this.

6 hours ago, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

If you scour the web for a bit, you could probably manage to find a cheap one. As I say "when in doubt, dig about!" :hammer01:

rydysig.JPG

5 hours ago, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

Sounds pretty neat, I will definitely look into this.

I wish you success! Tell your mom that I have 5 grandchildren, so I know exactly what I'm talking about :)

Joining a fossil club would definitely be the best idea! Another thing to do (though that is probably a little more expensive) is to go with licensed guides on a trip. If they know the area well, they will surely be able to bring you to a great spot where you could go home with lots of fossils!

But of course, you can always hunt alone or with your mom/family, without strangers if that makes it safer. :)

There are many awesome fossil locations in South Carolina that are open to the public. 

Take a look at these:

And I am sure that by googling a little further you will find more awesome locations that you could go to! 

One thing though that you must do: show us pictures of your findings!!! We all love to see nice pictures of fossil hunts. You can make a new thread in the Fossil Hunting Trips thread after your hunt. :)

You'll probably quickly realize that the real fun in the fossil-collection hobby begins once you start hunting yourself. Then the fossils you find have more of a meaning to you, because you really worked hard on finding them (and you didn't just go to a shop and spend some cash). 

Happy hunting, and good luck too!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Archived