Cloud the Dinosaur King

I am still skeptical about this being a Hell Creek bone.  The last photo seems to show a very well mineralized bone, which just isn't the way Hell Creek bones are preserved.  It looks a lot more Morrison-ish to me.  But that is just my opinion from photos.  Wherever it is form, there really isn't enough to say more than chunkosaur.  And sometimes you have to be OK with that.  

Agree without something diagnostic or a locality its a chunkasaurus, what else can you say.  Preservation does look like Morrison.  I'm addressing the first bone shown

I agree that black dinosaur bones are usually from Morrison formation, but 1) I doubt that it is actually a fossil and not a piece of flint (or a similar rock), since texture on the "polished" cross section and external sides reminds me of numerous bone-or-tooth-looking flints I have seen in the Kyiv sand inwashes 2) even if this is indeed a bone, I am sure it is impossible to identify to any level without locality information, it could be a dinosaur, marine reptile, maybe even a mammal of any age.

The Tooth Fairy

I've brightened, enlarged, and cropped the photos:

IMG_1139.JPG.89ff91ed02a0c27977fb15c38e5ff670.JPG    IMG_1138.JPG.31aef9d711fd68d5b01ff7d688261b32.JPG

5a91d40398533_FullSizeRender(9).jpg.3774cb2ae811c71f27f1c8173fcc4ae4.jpg

5a91d3735bfbc_FullSizeRender(7).jpg.4813a39c8f4ed8c4fdf147968f04ae8b.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This is a definitive "chunk-o-saur", and I'm afraid that no amount of wishful thinking will refine that result.

At this point, even its point of origin is called into question, by folks highly familiar with the subject.

Sorry to be the turd in the punchbowl, but this is how science works.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

plenty of black dinosaur bones in North Carolina but this looks like a badly worn manatee rib. As I said earlier that cleanly broken section with banding gives me pause.

• I found this Informative 1

41 minutes ago, Plax said:

...that cleanly broken section...

Looks sawed-off with a rock saw to me.

The presence of the cross-veining is difficult to explain.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

15 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Paleontologist or businessman ? Some of these guys should be selling used cars.

I've posted it here on the forum quite a while ago and got a response it looks to be from hell creek, I had the museum owner, which has a degree in the field, look at it and recognised it as a hell creek fossil, the seller has an entire triceratops skull and posts pictures on his private property in the hell creek formation regularly. I am POSITIVE it's from hell creek at the very, very, least.  

rydysig.JPG

2 hours ago, RyanDye said:

I've posted it here on the forum quite a while ago and got a response it looks to be from hell creek, I had the museum owner, which has a degree in the field, look at it and recognised it as a hell creek fossil, the seller has an entire triceratops skull and posts pictures on his private property in the hell creek formation regularly. I am POSITIVE it's from hell creek at the very, very, least.  

@RyanDye, please be careful about confusing this thread with replies to comments that do not specifically refer to your fossil.  This topic is primarily about the OP's fossil.

;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Ryan, this sort of thread hijack is bad form.  The thread is about Cloud's fossil and you have tried to make it about yours, and in the process managed to muddle things almost beyond repair.

Don

On 2/24/2018 at 1:07 PM, Cloud the Dinosaur King said:

A dinosaur bone from Beckham's Barn. Is it from a sauropod? Any ideas?

IMG_1139.JPG

Can You provide a clear well lit picture of this end?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

Ryan, this sort of thread hijack is bad form.  The thread is about Cloud's fossil and you have tried to make it about yours, and in the process managed to muddle things almost beyond repair.

Don

wow...I did not even notice that this happened.  No wonder I was confused.  

So, Ryan, are you talking about the same piece of bone that Cloud posted way back in the beginning?  Are you familiar with this piece of bone?  Help unconfuse me.  Thanks.  

5 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Don

Everyone:

This is more my fault. At one point I guess I did believe Ryan, had knowledge of Clouds specimen. My comment about the museum owner he took his to served to make the situation worse. Sorry about that.