New carboniferous hunt northern France today

nala

Those ferns as usual are exquisite.  Congratulations and thanks for letting us join you on your Carboniferous journey. 

Pretty plants!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Excellent finds and report, Gery!

Thanks for the field trip. :D 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Beautiful day and beautiful fossils, Gery - congrats!!!

By the way - do I see some iridescence on the leaf in your last picture, or is my mind playing tricks on me?!

Thanks WhodamanHD,Tim,Icordova and Monica,the oxyde of iron make sometimes this pyritized color :) here on a Cyclopteris leaf,but the unusual fact is the leaf is still on the stem :)

IMG_4466.JPG

1 hour ago, nala said:

Thanks WhodamanHD,Tim,Icordova and Monica,the oxyde of iron make sometimes this pyritized color :) here on a Cyclopteris leaf,but the unusual fact is the leaf is still on the stem :)

IMG_4466.JPG

Stunning!

Thanks for post such very nice finds.

This forum and members like you that share in the hunt and

allow us to see fossils from all areas of the planet are awesome.:dinothumb:

Gery, lovely finds. Let me expose my ignorance what would be the types of processes that lay down the plants that created these fossils?  Pointing me to a reference would be fine..

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Great finds Gary! You sure have a sweet pile to dig through and quite the variety of foliage too!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

19 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Gery, lovely finds. Let me expose my ignorance what would be the types of processes that lay down the plants that created these fossils?  Pointing me to a reference would be fine..

Jack, 

Many areas during the Carboniferous were swampy, with brackish and fresh water lagoons.  Think of hurricanes, typhoons, tidal waves, or other large storms where there was flooding, storm debris, ... and lots of plant matter ending up in the water, only to be covered by sediment as things settled down.

At least, that's my understanding of it. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 2/26/2018 at 9:49 AM, nala said:

Great photo.. Thanks for the links -- will get educated...  Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Archived