Some Treasures of Brownie's Beach 2/19/18

Littlefoot

My fellow fossil-hunting partner in crime, @Chomper, and I hit Brownie's Beach around 10 a.m. on President's Day. I saw a bunch of other fossil hunters there, and I understand @WhodamanHD was there as well, though I didn't see him. (I had my nose rather close to the sand most of the time -- next time I go fossil hunting, must remember my glasses!)

There was a fossil hunter there, a man wearing a Lowe's bib that he was using to put fossils in. I didn't catch his name, but he was amazingly helpful! I went up to him quite a few times with questions, which he kindly answered, plus he gave me tips on learning to spot fossils. He was especially helpful in showing the difference between bone and rock, and passed on two bone fragments he found. Once I started picking up the characteristics of bone, I started seeing them everywhere. I don't know if he's a member here, but I wanted to give him a salute and a HUGE thank you!

All in all, Chomper and I spent about 5 hours there, slowly combing the beach. She's going to post her fossil finds sometime after this weekend. And without further ado, here are my finds! Please, please comment away on anything, especially IDing, as I tend to throw EVERYTHING in my pockets, fossil or no.

Bones pieces (maybe a scapula in there, maybe a vertebrae?). Also a crocodile scute and a cool gastropod shell. The molars.... Well, I know for certain the one on the far left is a molar; the others may be cool molar-shaped pebbles! And a croc tooth?

DSC_8226 small.jpg

DSC_8227 small.jpg

DSC_8229 small.jpg

DSC_8234_small.jpg

Shark teeth! Sands, physos, and my first cow! I'm still sorting through them -- as you can see, I find the small ones. It's my specialty. :)

And a bivalve, echinoderm, and my strange Ecphora steinkern! (And that's it!)

DSC_8233 small.jpg

DSC_8238_small.jpg

Very nice finds! I’ll look at for you two next time! This is a partial cow shark tooth by the way:

A5F70A64-B700-43E3-BEE3-C437724B0619.jpeg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Good work! You sure got a lot of variety for one trip. Glad you're training your eyes to spot the less obvious fossils; that'll be a very helpful skill in the future for sure. As much fun as it is to see other hunters during your trips, I tend to stay away from sites on holidays. Most everyone is off school and work and so many seize the opportunity for a day of hunting. The beaches get crowded. My very first trip was right near Thanksgiving, and Brownie's was packed! No wonder I got skunked. I'm honestly a bit surprised at how many cool finds you managed on a day like that! In the future you may want to go out on days when others will stay home. Just a thought, but you do you. Hoppe hunting!

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

19 minutes ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

I  rounded up my Calvert Cows today

Those are incredible! How long have you been hunting the Cliffs? What sites do you frequent?

~Hoppe hunting!~

21 minutes ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

rounded up my Calvert Cows today

You really bring home the beef:D

truely a great collection of cows!

These mostly from brownies or your beach?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here's some Makos and a few excotics also from Brownies. Many came from a couple of private sites on the PAX river. Enjoy folks

IMG_0075.jpg

2 hours ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Here's some Makos and a few excotics also from Brownies. Many came from a couple of private sites on the PAX river. Enjoy folks

:drool: the giant thresher!:envy:

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Very nice finds! I’ll look at for you two next time! This is a partial cow shark tooth by the way:

My first cow shark! I feel like making some MOO cheers or something! (Thank you for the positive ID, by the way!)

4 hours ago, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

I  rounded up my Calvert Cows today

My jaw hit the ground! That's an incredible collection! (And something for me to aspire to!)

Your mako collection is also equally impressive!

Hope to see you collecting around Brownie's some day!

Before I go to sleep, (chem paper keeping me up) I want to add another two possible IDs

cetecean tooth

A02E29A6-EA42-4AEC-9C1A-B860A8FE5614.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

Maybe croc scute?

853230C8-E581-4EC2-BB89-32DFE5C7F528.jpeg

Happy hunting,

Mason

5 hours ago, HoppeFossilHunting said:

Good work! You sure got a lot of variety for one trip. Glad you're training your eyes to spot the less obvious fossils; that'll be a very helpful skill in the future for sure. As much fun as it is to see other hunters during your trips, I tend to stay away from sites on holidays. Most everyone is off school and work and so many seize the opportunity for a day of hunting. The beaches get crowded. My very first trip was right near Thanksgiving, and Brownie's was packed! No wonder I got skunked. I'm honestly a bit surprised at how many cool finds you managed on a day like that! In the future you may want to go out on days when others will stay home. Just a thought, but you do you. Hoppe hunting!

Thank you so much, @HoppeFossilHunting

And really good advice to try the less-crowded days for fossil hunting! My winter schedule is pretty packed, so it's hard to find days to go hunting! My summer schedule right now looks to be more open. Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on hunting in winter versus summer. I've been told winter is the best time, but I made some pretty cool finds last summer.

3 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Before I go to sleep, (chem paper keeping me up) I want to add another two possible IDs

cetecean tooth

YES, with a fist pump in the air! Thank you so much! I just looked up pictures, and I think you're right! That was one that really puzzled me.

I agree with you on the croc scute! I was wondering turtle scute, but the holes seem too deep.

Glad I could help:D

Most turtle scutes have a certain look to them from there, the sutures and puts being shallow and faint. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I think this is sturgeon osteoderm.

I’ve never seen one of those before, but I’ll take your word for it. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

12 hours ago, Littlefoot said:

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on hunting in winter versus summer. I've been told winter is the best time, but I made some pretty cool finds last summer.

Winter is typically (but not always!) superior. This is mainly due to what I mentioned before; less people hit the beaches during the colder months. Furthermore, severe winter weather can keep the beach untouched for extended periods of time, allowing for a lot of accumulation of finds on the shore. And once a good deal of snow or ice melts, the cliffs tend to erode even more. All this being said, summer is not a bad time to hunt! If you think about it, any season is a good time to go fossil hunting. The next great find could wash out any day of the year! There are two major factors that deter serious hunters from beaches in the warm months. One: the beaches (especially popular public spots like Brownie’s) get packed, by both other hunters and just beach goers. More people to enjoy the day with, but likely less finds for you as an individual. Two: many beaches that are free to hunt on during the off-season (prime season for us hunters) charge entry fees for the day during the summer. When you go hunting is all up to when you’re able and willing to go, and like I said you can find some awesome stuff any day of the year. Hope this was helpful! Hoppe hunting!

~Hoppe hunting!~

Archived