Some Treasures of Brownie's Beach 2/19/18

Littlefoot

12 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I think this is sturgeon osteoderm.

The following discussion mentions sturgeon osteoderm:

I've never actually heard of that before, so this is pretty informative for me! Thank you!

8 hours ago, HoppeFossilHunting said:

Winter is typically (but not always!) superior. This is mainly due to what I mentioned before; less people hit the beaches during the colder months. Furthermore, severe winter weather can keep the beach untouched for extended periods of time, allowing for a lot of accumulation of finds on the shore. And once a good deal of snow or ice melts, the cliffs tend to erode even more. All this being said, summer is not a bad time to hunt! If you think about it, any season is a good time to go fossil hunting. The next great find could wash out any day of the year! There are two major factors that deter serious hunters from beaches in the warm months. One: the beaches (especially popular public spots like Brownie’s) get packed, by both other hunters and just beach goers. More people to enjoy the day with, but likely less finds for you as an individual. Two: many beaches that are free to hunt on during the off-season (prime season for us hunters) charge entry fees for the day during the summer. When you go hunting is all up to when you’re able and willing to go, and like I said you can find some awesome stuff any day of the year. Hope this was helpful! Hoppe hunting!

Good answer! Thank you, HoppeFossilHunting!

I am not going to use the quote link as to many pictures will be repeated but I will say you all have some very fantastic finds. :envy:

I know this is only my first year of hunting, but when I went to Flag Pond yesterday, there was very little wave action which made hunting very easy. If I had been wearing full waders, I could have easily walked much further out & still been in clear, fairly shallow water. As it was, I only had tall rubber boots on, so I could only wade out about 2 feet. Still good enough to get some teeth & a catfish spine. Here is the nicest tooth from yesterday. It is 2 cm long.

IMG_20180226_102656242.jpg

On 2/24/2018 at 7:27 PM, Calvert Cliff Dweller said:

Here's some Makos and a few excotics also from Brownies. Many came from a couple of private sites on the PAX river. Enjoy folks

IMG_0075.jpg

I am jealous of this collection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   @Littlefoot

Thanks for the compliment I have several more riker mounts I will be posting soon.

Archived