Etobicoke Creek, Marie Curtis Park Beach Find - please help ID

cheeseburger

I found the first two of these pictures in the river bed of Etobicoke creek, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and the final picture is of one I found at the lakefront of marie curtis beach park. I have tried looking online and read they might be from ordivican? but I really have no idea! new to fossiling -- but definitely interested in learning more!

IMG_1067.JPG

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1061.JPG

Edited by cheeseburger

Beautiful orthoconic nautiloids from the Ordovician (I think that’s the age, but I don’t have my label from the one @Monicasent me, can you confirm Monica, or another one of you from the area?)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Nice finds. Yep agree with the orthocone nautiloids in 1 and 3, the 2nd photo almost looks like a cross section of a crinoid stem. That first photo is a hash plate of sorts with all kinds of bits of other things. Maybe some clams and other critters. A sharp closeup might allow an ID. 

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2

Agreed with everyone above, and the second picture is indeed a crinoid cross-section as @plantguy stated. These are Ordovician in age. Welcome aboard from just down the 401. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Yup - the rocks at Etobicoke Creek are indeed from the Georgian Bay Formation (Upper Ordovician - around 450 million years old).  I also agree with what the others have said - orthoconic nautiloids for items 1 and 3 (likely Treptoceras crebiseptum I've been told), and a crinoid stem for item 2.  Item 3 also has some somewhat high-spired gastropods (perhaps Lophospira sp. or Hormotoma sp.).

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Monica