Briggs Road Fossilhunt 2/24/18

Darktooth

Today I took a trip to a much underrated fossil site, Briggs Road, in Earlville New York. For those who don't know Briggs is only a couple miles North from the much talked about Deep Springs site. I had been wanting to get back to the trilo layer here as this is a great spot for Eldredgeops rana But this road is a seasonal use road so when it snows they only plow until the last house before the site and leave a big pile of snow blocking the road. Finally after a few days of warmth the snow pile was gone. The rock here is quite weathered right now and all I used was a small pry bar to help break off pieces from the main wall. My older son David had rehearsal for an upcoming play at school. So only Dylan and Devin were with me. Me and Dylan did the most searching while Devin was just being a boy. Throwing rocks and ice into the small pond that formed in the quarry was his thing today. We found tons of cephalons and pygidiums. I found a nice almost complete prone trilo in the rubble pile that I thought was whole. I was very sad when I saw that most of the left side was gone. I did find one small complete roller in matrix and a few that may be wholebut will require prep to fi d out for sure. Dylan seemed pretty content as he found more trilo parts then he ever has before. We stayed for about 3 hours. I wanted to stay longer but I promised them we would only be there a couple hours and I didn't want to push it. Here is some of our finds.

20180224_182555.jpg

20180224_182955.jpg

20180224_183011.jpg

20180224_183051.jpg

20180224_183106.jpg

20180224_183148.jpg

20180224_183205.jpg

20180224_183234.jpg

20180224_183309.jpg

20180224_183347.jpg

20180224_183359.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks for the report, Dave. I haven't been to that site yet, but I'l have to try it out next time I take a trip to the area. You and Dylan made some nice finds. Especially for February!

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Nice finds, love the trilos! :trilo:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, Pagurus said:

Thanks for the report, Dave. I haven't been to that site yet, but I'l have to try it out next time I take a trip to the area. You and Dylan made some nice finds. Especially for February!

Mike

Mike if you decide to come out this year  Briggs is definitely worth checking out. It is so close to Deep Springs you could hit up both sites in the same day. Deep Springs seems to produce more Greenops and Dipleuras but Briggs has more Eldredgeops though I have seen Greenops and Dipleura material there as well.  

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 hour ago, GordonC said:

Great specimens. You are certainly a hard core E. rana guy. NY weather not the best today.  G

Actually the weather here wasn't too bad, atleast by my standards. Mid 40's , cloudy, but no rain or snow. Pretty good for this time of year. I will try to get back next weekend if the weather cooperates.

Hopefully I can pull out some nicer specimens.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Nice trip report! You know, when the boys are much older they are going to look back with nostalgia on those days they went out fossil hunting with dear old dad. :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Nice trip report! You know, when the boys are much older they are going to look back with nostalgia on those days they went out fossil hunting with dear old dad. :) 

I hope they will take their kids too! Heck I hope I get a chance to take their kids!:)

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I really do like trilos a lot, and I am glad spring is right around the corner so I can get out more.  This year I would like to find some other New York trilo species to add to the collection.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Great report, Dave!

Thanks for posting. 

I need to get to Briggs Road this year.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! These are some incredible finds! 

I also had to smile at your descriptions of your son Devin being a boy. My young'uns aren't quite into fossil hunting yet, so they spend a lot of time being kids while I search beaches. :) It's wonderful that your son Dylan is helping!

Great finds and congrats on getting out in February to collect! Not often one can do that in the NE. ;)  Briggs Rd. has been on my radar but I have never really done much collecting there. Glad to see there is something worth digging for.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Archived